• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paste

srhcb

Paste

My three year old Grandson likes to pull a chair up to the center island and watch me work in the kitchen, especially when the KitchenAid stand mixer is set up. Of course, when I make cake or cookies he gets to lick the beaters and bowl, but last night I was making my favorite Oatmeal Bread from the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cook Book.

To my surprise he not only ate the raw dough, he even stuck his fingers into the flour and licked them off. Then I remembered (way, way) back to my grade school days, and the kids who used to eat paste. (We all tried it .... right? ) It's really nothing but flour and water!

So, looking in the KAF's index, what do I espy? In Chapter XI, "Fun!", are three recipes for paste! Using elements from two of the recipes, "Simple Paste" and "Schoolroom Paste", (the third is for "Paper-Mache Paste"), I whipped some up.

Then, of course, we had to cut pictures out of the Sunday paper cartoons and advertising flyers and paste them onto construction paper. We were having so much Fun! we had to make another batch.

If you're ever so inclined, here's my recipe:

• 2 c Flour
  • 1-1/2 c Water
  • couple drops of Mint Extract

Mix ingredients together

Paste/Taste as desired

Footnote: The KAF Cookbook authors, obviously parents themselves, include the helpful notation, "All these pastes are completely water soluable and can be soaked off anything that has been inappropriately pasted!

Keywords: Amuse, Easy

( RG1836 )