• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Peanut Noodles

purplewiz

Cold Peanut Noodles

This is a recipe I used to take to potlucks quite often, and it usually disappeared quickly. I developed it from an amalgam of 3 or 4 noodle recipes, and tweaked to taste.

NOTE: these measurements are APPROXIMATE. They are only a place to start - they will probably requiring adjusting for taste.

• 1 lb spaghetti or other thin noodles
  • 4 green onions, sliced thin
  • 2 T sesame seeds, toasted

Dressing Ingredients:

• 1/2 c peanut butter (chunky or creamy)
  • 1/4 c vinegar (white, rice, rice wine)
  • 1 tsp chili oil
  • 1/4 c soy sauce
  • 1 T toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • water to thin

Optional Dressing Ingredients (but recommended):

• 1 T balsamic vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
  • 1 dash cayenne pepper
  • 2 T Thai hot/sweet chili sauce

Cook the noodles according to package directions/personal taste. Drain and allow to cool.

Whisk together all other ingredients except sesame seeds and green onions to make a dressing. It takes awhile to work the peanut butter in, but eventually it should come out with a consistency like heavy cream. If it's too thick, add a little water. If it's too thin, add a little more peanut butter.

In a large bowl, toss together the spaghetti, dressing, green onions, and sesame seeds. Chill for several hours to allow the noodles to absorb the dressing, and tossing occasionally to coat the noodles with any extra dressing.

Serve cold or at room temperature, as is or topped with grilled chicken or roasted vegetables.

A note on the dressing: as I mentioned above, these are only measurements to start with. I generally adjust as taste as I go, since I'm looking for that balance of sweet/sour/salty/hot with a definite taste of peanut, a pleasant but not overwhelming kick of heat, and a nice tang of sour.

Keywords: Main Dish, Salad, Easy, Pasta

( RG953 )

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog