• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parsley Butter Sauce for Green (or Wax) Beans

ruthcooks

Parsley Butter Sauce for Green (or Wax) Beans

Serves 6 as Side.

My children used to love wax beans, while I find them practically tasteless even when from my own garden. The original use for this recipe was to make wax beans edible(and very pretty), but now I use the sauce for green beans, which I love. Leave the beans whole, and the smaller, the better.

• 2 lb fresh green beans, ends trimmed
  • Salt

Parsley-Butter Sauce:

• 2 T butter
  • 2 T flour
  • Salt and white pepper
  • 1 c chicken broth
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 c heavy cream
  • 1 c chopped parsley

Cook beans to the desired state of doneness in a wide bottomed pan or skillet of salted water. When beans are done to your liking, drain them well, return to hot pan, cover and return to stove. For electric stove, the residual heat of the turned off burner will be enough; for gas, leave over lowest heat. (To make ahead, beans may be blanched, shocked in cold water, drained and refrigerated. When ready, heat well in a tiny bit of water, covered .)

Sauce: in a two-cup measuring cup, microwave 2 T. each butter and flour until bubbly. Add chicken broth and microwave until it boils, stirring once or twice to combine. Season well; broth must be somewhat over-seasoned. Stir egg yolks into heavy cream and stir into sauce.

Stir sauce into hot beans and cook with stirring for 1 or 2 minutes while sauce continues to cook, but not boil. Or simply stir in sauce, cover and remove from heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley just before serving.

Note: the wide bottomed pan is necessary to have enough hot surface to sufficiently cook the egg yolks in the sauce.

Keywords: Side, Easy, Vegetables, Sauce

( RG1123 )

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali