• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Torte

Marlene

Chocolate Torte

Very decandent

For the Torte

• 10 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 3/4 c unsalted butter, cut up
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 1/4 c plus 2 T sugar
  • 1 T dark rum or espresso
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 large egg whites

For the Glaze

• 1/2 c butter
  • 8 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 2 T light corn syrup

Oven to 300. Grease bottom of an 8 inch round cake pan and line with parchment, grease paper and sides, dust with cocoa powder.

Combine chocolate and the 3/4 cup butter and melt over low heat, stir until well blended.

In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, dark rum, vanilla and salt until pale and thick. Gradually pour in the chocolate mixture until well blended.

In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add the rest of the sugar slowly, and beat until medium stiff peaks form. Put half the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture and fold. Fold the rest in until no streaks remain.

Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake the torte until it puffs lightly and the centre comes out moist but not liquid. Takes about 30-35 minutes.

Run a small knife around edge to loosen cake. Let cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto plate and peel off parchment paper. Let cool completely, then chill at least 4 hours or overnight.

Glaze the cake with the chocolate glaze and chill again until firm, at least two hours. Use a hot knife to slice cake.

Glaze

melt butter and chocolate over low heat, whisk until blended. Remove from heat and whisk in the corn syrup until smooth and glossy. Set cake on wire rack over cookie sheet or wax paper and pour the glaze over the cake.

Keywords: Dessert, Chocolate

( RG588 )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.