• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Sauce -From the NY PotLuck Dinner

SobaAddict70

Tomato Sauce -From the NY PotLuck Dinner

• garlic
  • tomatoes (Mario specifies canned tomatoes, but I prefer using Pomi vacuum packed when not using fresh. Here, I used chopped tomatoes although the strained version works just as well.)
  • onions
  • EVOO
  • salt
  • pepper

Saute garlic in EVOO. Add onions. Add a bit of salt. Saute until onions are slightly translucent -- actually this is the step that's kind of difficult to describe as far as I'm concerned because its pretty instinctual. Add tomatoes, lower heat and simmer. Adjust seasoning to taste as sauce simmers. At this point, I added dried basil and dried oregano to the mix and let it simmer for a little over 45 minutes. Then strained through a food mill, using the fine disc. Saved and reserved the tomato/onion pulp for later. Reserved the tomato sauce for use later.

Keywords: Sauce

( RG569 )