• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Stock

Dave the Cook

Chicken Stock

Serves 1.

Yield: 1 quart

This is a basic recipe that I've modified so that it's easy to divide or multiply. It's based on a recipe in Cook's Illustrated, which is in turn based on techiniques explored in Edna Lewis' "In Pursuit of Flavor." Except for chilling, the whole procedure won't take more than an hour and a half. This may seem sort of radical, since we all learned that stock takes hours of gentle attention. It doesn't have to.

You don't need to skim because the initial sauté denatures the meat proteins, and they won't float to the top--they'll merge with the rest of the ingredients and be strained out in the end.

You can add of lots other things: carrots, celery, leeks, etc. at step 6. If these additional ingredients require longer simmering, go ahead and simmer. You won't hurt the chicken.

A note on salt: many people do not add salt to stock. I find that the small amount called for here helps to extract flavor from the ingredients, and is not noticeable in the finished product, even when reduced. So don't use it if you don't want, but you might try it once and see if it doesn't make a difference.

A note on scraps: I don't save them for making stock, but a lot of people do, so that's the way this is written. I prefer to buy legs and wings on sale and freeze them until I'm ready to make stock. A ratio of 3 legs to 2 wings make a good rich, gelatinous stock. At 2003 prices, chicken parts to make a gallon of stock will cost less than $10.

• 1 qt water
  • 2 lb meaty chicken scraps
  • 1/2 c dry, unoaked white wine (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or 1/8 t table salt
  • 1 small onion

1. Hack the chicken into 2-inch (50 mm) pieces. Chop the onion medium.

2. Sauté the onion in a little oil until tender. Remove.

3. Sauté the chicken parts in a little oil until they are no longer pink. Remove.

4. Deglaze the pan with a little water or wine, or a combination.

5. Return the chicken and onion to the pot. Add the salt. Cover, set the heat to low and let the contents cook for 20 minutes.

6. Add the boiling water. Adjust the pot to a simmer. Cover and simmer for another 45 minutes.

7. Strain, refrigerate, skim fat. Done. Strain again if it's not clear enough, or use the egg white technique.

Keywords: Sauce, Soup, Intermediate, Chicken

( RG208 )

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.