• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nan's Pie Crust

Jim Dixon

Nan's Pie Crust

Here's my mother's recipe. I've been eating pie made with this crust my entire life, and it's a nice balance of flaky and tender.

edited 1/24/07

I fixed a key typo: 1 teaspoon of salt, not 1 tablespoon

I also added some details to the processor method, which I recommend

I've been making this with all butter and it comes out fine. While there are trans fat free shortenings, I can't recommend using any of them.

Jim

• 3 c flour
  • 1-1/2 c shortening (she told me she's been using 1 c crisco and .5 c butter)
  • 1 tsp salt

In a separate bowl beat together:

• 1/3 c water
  • 1 egg
  • 1 T vinegar (plain white)

Mix flour and salt (sifting optional), cut in fat until you get that small crumb consistency

Add egg mixture to flour mix, blend well, and chill. Let sit out about 15 minutes before rolling out.

or do it in the food processor:

-combine dry ingredients, process to blend

-combine egg, vinegar, water as above, then add to dry mix

-process until it forms a cohesive ball

Mom says if the dough starts to break up while you're rolling, just ball it back up and start over.

makes 2 double or 4 single crusts

Keywords: Easy, Pie

( RG145 )

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food