• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pierre Gagnaire closes Tokyo restaurant

monkuaruka

I received a notice from the PG Salon mailing list on August 31st regarding the closing of Pierre Gagnaire à Tokyo, roughly translated below. Deeply unfortunate news.

-----

PGSalon 2009.8.31

Thank you for your patronage of "Pierre Gagnaire à Tokyo".

Now, we have come to close "Pierre Gagnaire à Tokyo", which enjoyed your patronage since it opened in 2005, effective as of today.

This was a bitter decision given all of your warm support, however we request your kind understanding.

While we will be leaving Aoyama, the opening of a restaurant under the "Pierre Gangaire" brand in another top area is planned.

Regarding the new "Pierre Gagnaire" brand restaurant, once preparations are completed, an official press announcement will be made by those responsible.

We would ask your continued patronage and support of "Pierre Gagnaire" going forward.

Kabushikigaisha P.G. Japan

---

Satoshi

That's too bad. A sign of these tough economic times perhaps?

As part of my prep for my upcoming November Tokyo trip, I researched a slew of recommended high-end restaurants. Although Pierre Gagnaire was on the short list, it didn't make the cut (just as well now all things considered) but I did read very good things, especially about its Grand Dessert made up of 7 different desserts.

As an aside, one of the restaurants that did make the cut, Maison d'Umemoto Shanghai has closed down as well since making the Tokyo 2009 Michlin guide.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com