• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday Shrimp Boil and fundraiser

JanMcBaker

This a reminder, or perhaps news for some of you, of the shrimp boil and fundraising event to be held this Saturday August 29, 4-8 PM at Greensgrow Urban Farm on East Cumberland in Kensington. Spots are limited but are still available as far as I know now. It's a very much worth-the-price $30. Call ASAP if you're interested-- 215-427-2780.

As reported last Friday by Michael Klein here, Chef Corbin Evans is arranging a shrimp boil to commemorate the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, and to raise funds to assist the Brandhurst family. They are a long-time shrimping family whose patriarch is now battling lung cancer. Besides the shrimp that's being donated by the Louisiana Seafood Marketing Board, there will also be other foods donated by local chefs. Oh, and pralines made by yours truly. :rolleyes:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

This was a really fun event, even with the interruption of the massive thunderstorm. :rolleyes: Food was great, company was lovely and Greensgrow is a really cool urban farm. I had never visited the farm before and was happy to see such a thriving enterprise right in the middle of the city and just a few short blocks from Aramingo Avenue. Who knew? I definitely ate my share of the criminally yummy shrimp boil and had a few drumsticks of Meme's fried chicken to boot. Everything was delicious. Thanks for the brown sugar-bacon-pecan pralines, Janet! Those were heavenly...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This was a really fun event, even with the interruption of the massive thunderstorm.  :rolleyes:  Food was great, company was lovely and Greensgrow is a really cool urban farm.  I had never visited the farm before and was happy to see such a thriving enterprise right in the middle of the city and just a few short blocks from Aramingo Avenue.  Who knew?  I definitely ate my share of the criminally yummy shrimp boil and had a few drumsticks of Meme's fried chicken to boot.  Everything was delicious.  Thanks for the brown sugar-bacon-pecan pralines, Janet!  Those were heavenly...

I'm glad you liked them, Katie, and I was happy to see you and Gary there! It was a good time, and the food was tasty. I do love a piece-- or two-- of good fried chicken! And you're right about the shrimp and other dishes. But did you imagine something with the pralines? I didn't put any bacon in them-- though that does sound like an interesting idea!

Perhaps there was more than one kind of praline available. The ones I tried were at the dessert table with the mini cupcakes and two kinds of bread pudding, being seved by the folks from Standard Tap. They were definitely described as having bacon in them. So either the folks serving the pralines were incorrect, or I didn't get to try yours. It's probably for the best that I didn't know if there really were 2 kinds of pralines there. That could have been dangerous! :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Perhaps there was more than one kind of praline available.  The ones I tried were at the dessert table with the mini cupcakes and two kinds of bread pudding, being seved by the folks from Standard Tap.  They were definitely described as having bacon in them.  So either the folks serving the pralines were incorrect, or I didn't get to try yours.  It's probably for the best that I didn't know if there really were 2 kinds of pralines there.  That could have been dangerous!  :raz:

Darn! If there were other ones, I missed them. I put mine in white cupcake papers. My first of the two batches I made was rather fragile and I was afraid they'd all run together if I didn't separate them somehow.