• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Musk Sticks!

So my Aussie friend told me about MUSK STICKS candy.

Its basically soft pink Twizzler shaped sticks of candy that taste like Jovan Musk perfume. Or an old ladys purse or Patchouli.

I strangely like them.

Is there musk flavoring for cakes and cookies in Australia?

Who likes Musk Sticks besides me?

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

So my Aussie friend told me about MUSK STICKS candy.

Its basically soft pink Twizzler shaped sticks of candy that taste like Jovan Musk perfume. Or an old ladys purse or Patchouli.

I strangely like them.

Is there musk flavoring for cakes and cookies in Australia?

I love musk sticks...

I have to say, Musk Sticks sounds more like an antiperspirant deodorant than a confection. Having said that, I'd try some if I had some. Musk, for me, is a strong scent that I associate with the wild muskrats of my childhood in Ontario and Quebec. As a food flavor, I'm sure it's hard to ignore.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like many things, the musk sticks of today are soft and limp compared to those available in my primary school tuckshop in the '60s. I have fond memories of rolling them between sticky palms while sucking on one end - the result: a pointy "musk pencil". Endless fun when you're six.

• 5 months later...

Mmmm, musk sticks. They are a bit weird, aren't they, when you think about it...

There is indeed musk essence for baking. My brother used to make experimental "cakes" where he'd mix some flour, sugar, eggs and milk in inappropriate proportions, then add food coloring and flavouring at his whim. His musk cake is one that I remember, not in the good way :)

There are also other flavoured "fruit sticks"... the same shape/texture, but with other very artificial flavours. I can remember orange, yellow, green i think, maybe purple. But the original musk stick is still the classic.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...