• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to post?

Holly Moore

Figuring out where to post is tougher than ever. My choices include eGullet, Roadfood, Twitter and Facebook and some local boards/forums.

Yesterday I returned to Charlie's Pool Room in Alpha NJ. I posted Charlie's on Tweeter, Facebook and Roadfood. Today I found Mirai corn at the Headhouse market and posted on eGullet and Twitter. Tuesday I did a spot for a local news broadcast and shared it on Facebook. A while back I happened upon Jack Frost in Glenside - terrific hamburger and fresh cut fries - Twitter.

There is a logic for posting everything, everywhere. Some overlap, but many additional readers. Jack Frost, for example. No reason that couldn't go on all the above info sources and a couple of other local boards. That strikes me as overdoing it, though.

Maybe I'm being hyper-sensitive, but I would be curious how others approach what to post, where.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I don't do Twitter myself, but some people set up their Twitter account to post automatically to Facebook, so that's one way of consolidating those two.

I mirror my flickr account to Facebook, and if the flickr photo relates to something I've posted here or on another board or on the family blog, I'll include a link in the image description.

I don't do Twitter myself, but some people set up their Twitter account to post automatically to Facebook, so that's one way of consolidating those two.

I mirror my flickr account to Facebook, and if the flickr photo relates to something I've posted here or on another board or on the family blog, I'll include a link in the image description.

No answers for you, but information regarding posting to both Twitter and Facebook. You have two options in Facebook applications that will pull your Facebook status from Twitter:

1. Twitter - Pulls all tweets as Facebook status updates. (Might be having problems, just to let you know)

2. Selective Twitter Status - When you use this application ending a tweet with the "#fb" will update your Facebook status. All other tweets are ignored.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

My current default setup is to post to my Typepad blog, which I have set up to automatically post to both Facebook and Twitter. That way, people on those latter two services get the quick summary of my blog post, and can follow the link back to my blog for the full story.

For a couple of weeks, I had been rockin' out the joys of posting photos and text regarding cheap-eats experiences directly from my cell phone to my blog, and then having summaries flow on to Facebook and Twitter ... until my mobile blog posting mysteriously stopped working a few days ago. I have a trouble ticket filed with the nice folks at Typepad support, and am anxiously awaiting a response. I feel like an addict cut off from my fix ... :laugh:

Nawwww ... I can still send photos and text to my Google Mail account, and then post them to my blog when I get home. It just lacks the thrill of immediate gratification. :rolleyes: