• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Sauce

thegreatdane

What kind of chocolate sauce? I think the water activity level is what is going to get you in trouble, if sauce works like a ganache for filled chocolates. Is this something you want to store on the shelf and use occasionally, or can you vacuum seal it?

I want to make a sauce for ice cream and other desserts and not have to refrigerate it, if possible. If water is the culprit, could it be sterilized? Or, could oil thin it down, instead of water, and offer a long shelf life?

It is (I believe) possible to sterilize the sauce via pressure canning, but as soon as you open the jar it would have to be refrigerated. You would also want to make sure the flavors don't change unacceptably through the very high temperatures involved in that process.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Hi. I wrote this a few weeks ago but apparently was not of much help. Perhaps it will help you! I am sure the thread will interest you as well. Scroll down to my reply and click on the link. It includes a recipe. I have a recipe for chocolate spread from Wybauw. If you have his book. If not you can PM me.

Edited by Lior (log)