• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi form Caprese salad

Doodad

We were at out community garden and my wife mentioned she wanted Caprese salad with dinner. A neigbor's plot donated some sugar lump tomatoes which are tiny tiny and a light went off in my head.

I will wrap a slice of mozzarella with nori in a battleship shape and fill with basil and the tomatoes. Basalmic in place of ponzu and voila. Caprese gunkan maki.

:cool:

Pics, please! Bonus points if you can make the basil into sheet form and use that in place of the nori.  :biggrin:

I thought about that, but not sure how to go about it. Puree and dry in sheets?

Edit to add I have a dehydrator and plenty of basil. I have the tray to make fruit rollups so I could use that to dry the basil. At least as an experiment in fail.

Edited by Doodad (log)

I tried doing a nori-like sheet by drying blanched pureed mint. It was very delicate and difficult to work with. I did it thinner than the average nori sheet and dried it without heat in front of a fan. I think the thickness was the main problem. It worked pretty well other than being too easily broken.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I tried doing a nori-like sheet by drying blanched pureed mint. It was very delicate and difficult to work with. I did it thinner than the average nori sheet and dried it without heat in front of a fan. I think the thickness was the main problem. It worked pretty well other than being too easily broken.

Even nori is pretty fragile when it's totally dry; the humidity in the rice often softens it up nicely. I wonder how a herb sheet would handle if you dehydrated it, then misted it lightly with water - or a flavourful liquid.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara