• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metallic cocoa butter

RWood

Hi everyone,

This may have been discussed in some of the chocolate threads, but I don't remember seeing anything.

I'm having a problem with the metallic cocoa butter colors sticking to my molds. The non-metallic colors come out with a brilliant shine and no sticking at all.

But, all the "lustre" or "pearl" cocoa butters I have, stick to the molds and I end up with ruined chocolates.

I've noticed that I have a problem with these cocoa butters separating all the time. I can shake and shake, but it doesn't help. These are all chef rubber colors.

I did one mold when I first started using the burgandy, with a dark raspberry dust, and it worked great. Now, it's hit or miss.

I have found that if the chocolate isn't at the higher end of the temper point, it will not adhere. So, that has helped somewhat.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Are you tempering them prior to use?

I am melting them to around 88-90 degrees. The main issue has been when airbrushing. A little when just smeared or brushed in, but not as much. A few times I have overheated the white cocoa butter, and it still works fine. No sticking. I'm finding it's only with the metallics. I'm getting to the point I may stop using them until I have time to work it out. Maybe just use dust for sparkle.

I use the chef rubber colors, and have quite a few of the metallics. I temper before use and they are fine.

I was always told to temper them, never to trust them from the bottle. (three instructors) And, was shown how to temper tiny amounts on a table with a palette knife. They are just cocoa butter, and once they get over 88°F they are out of temper.

Individual bottles you own may have undergone temperature abuse during shipping or something, if you are wondering because you keep your kitchen cold at all times. I keep mine at home, where the temp is very variable, especially in the Phoenix summers, so I know that mine are out of temper.

Maybe the metallic dust affects the crystal formation, requiring the tempering? I really don't know anything except they work for me, and some of my bottles are more than five years old.

That said, have you tried asking Chef Rubber?

I might just have dumb luck, but I heat the jewel cocoa butter the same as the regular. I never temper. The warmer the better as far as I am concerned. I don't have a sticking problem (knock on wood).

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I use the chef rubber colors, and have quite a few of the metallics. I temper before use and they are fine.

I was always told to temper them, never to trust them from the bottle. (three instructors)  And, was  shown how to temper tiny amounts on a table with a palette knife. They are just cocoa butter, and once they get over 88°F they are out of temper.

Individual bottles you own may have undergone temperature abuse during shipping or something, if you are wondering because you keep your kitchen cold at all times. I keep mine at home, where the temp is very variable, especially in the Phoenix summers, so I know that mine are out of temper.

Maybe the metallic dust affects the crystal formation, requiring the tempering? I really don't know anything except they work for me, and some of my bottles are more than five years old.

That said, have you tried asking Chef Rubber?

Thanks for the input. I'll try tempering them and see. I have just ordered some new colors from Chef Rubber (no metallics) and I may give them a call next week to get their opinion.

I live in a cool climate, but they are shipped from Las Vegas, so could be problems in transit.

I had the same problem with my metallics and I put the molds in the refridgerator for about 10 minutes and then they came out fine......

Rena

I do that everytime, and still the same. I think they are just out to get me :angry:

I had the same problem with my metallics and I put the molds in the refridgerator for about 10 minutes and then they came out fine......

Rena

I do that everytime, and still the same. I think they are just out to get me :angry:

you mention that when they are a bit warmer, they don't stick and that when you airbrush, they stick. when atomizing the cocoa butter, it cools down quite a bit, so you might want to warm it up even further when you're planning on airbrushing, the temp will come down pretty quickly during the process.

Rena

you mention that when they are a bit warmer, they don't stick and that when you airbrush, they stick. when atomizing the cocoa butter, it cools down quite a bit, so you might want to warm it up even further when you're planning on airbrushing, the temp will come down pretty quickly during the process.

I was thinking that as well. I had much better luck with the painted in cocoa butter that last time. I partially melted it, the shook the container until the solid chunk melted. I didn't check the temp, but it started to set much more quickly once in the mold. So, it was closer to the proper temp. I only had a few that lost a spot or two of color. I'm really the only one who would notice it's not part of the design :smile: .

For airbrushing, I'm going to heat it higher, and see if that does make a difference.

Thanks!