• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm puttin this here

ngatti

Tongue is in cheek re the title folks.

Lunch at Freelance in Piermont today.

No lengthy description. Just...SMOKIN!!

get yer collective coulitos over thar. Place was filled and we ate at the bar. Butternut Squash Bisque, Cod with olives and roasted garlic with smooth mashed poatatoes, Chicken with baby spinach and mushrooms. All terrific, including the friendly yet professional service.

My comment to the waitress; "why would anyone go to a chain dinnerhouse when there are places like this around?"

One caveat to those for whom such things matter: If you do the three course thing (app, main, postre) and have a glass or two of wine, then lunch can easily approach and even top $100.00 for two people.

Edit: The Freelance Cafe, Piermont NY. Not as if you need a street address, but take 9W to the Piermont sign. Right off the highway and down the switchback to the center of town. It's on the main street. You'll find it.

doubledit: Linkydink

Enjoy

Nick

I find the best way to do Freelance is for lunch. Early or late (today was 1:30) beats the crowds. At that, we still ate at the bar.

Yes, I've been to Xavier's. Excellent food. Service from an era long since past. Again, remember to bring your wallet. :smile: I ran out of cash on my last visit and they didn't take credit cards. Fortunately, they took a personal check and without any requests for ID. How civilized!

Nick

There are a few cash-only holdouts in New York City as well, such as Peter Luger.

Also Gray's Papaya. :laugh:

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I agree...Freelance rules. My absolute favorite place in the area, including all of Westchester as well. Xaviars next door is also wonderful. I was lucky enough to have my Birthday dinner there last year. So great for a special occassion.

Has anyone ever gone to Bully Boy up in Congers. That's another one of their places. That's quite good also. It's quite a large place with a bustling, fun atmosphere. If you can't get into the other two place on the spur of the moment...try that place. :biggrin: