• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wife's Birthday Dinner

davidbdesilva

I am taking my wife to NYC for her birthday and we are staying over for the night. We're looking for a restaurant that offers very good (preferrably New American) food, nice/romantic atmosphere, and is under $200 (with wine, tax and tip). We have eaten in Manhattan many times so we are fairly familiar with the various neighborhoods.

I have done some research and am considering places like Apiary, The Harrison, Public, Allen & Delancy, and Union Square Cafe (though that may be over budget). Please let me know your thoughts about the choices above as well as others.

I would also like to take my wife to a nice rooftop bar/lounge after dinner. Is the Penninsula the obvious choice? Others? Thank you all!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Apiary is excellent and, as an added bonus, it is BYOB without corkage on Mondays. Scott Bryant is one of the best chefs in NYC at the moment. I think Apiary is a cut above the other restaurants you were thinking about and much more interesting than USC.

Ruth Friedman