• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One-shot molding machines

schneich

we are in the market for a knobel one-shot mouding line. as far as i know we have to adapt our recipes to match the covering chocolates density, and to create a short texture.

does anyone have experience in working with such a machine ??

cheers from cologne

torsten s.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

I'm thinking Brian Donaghy or Sebastian will know someone.  I wonder if the NCA/PMCA runs a course.

Try contacting Michael Recchiuti of Recchiuti Chocolates in San Francisco. He and I discussed these and for that specific reason-that you had to adjust your formulas to the machine-he didn't really use his. michael@recchiuti.com

Jeff

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

rick@sethellischocolatier.com has one, loves it and is VERY generous with his time and information. He is in Boulder Colorado. We visited with him last month and he believes in sharing any knowledge he has. He also makes wonderful chocolates.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

The key is that you'll want both your chocolate and the filling to be as close as possible to one another in terms of viscosity at depositing temperatures. That can be done in a couple of ways:

1) choosing the right chocolate

2) altering your existing chocolate with either additional cocoa butter or emulsifiers

3) changing your filling formulation to thin it out - most often fililngs are too viscous

Hope that helps mate.

can anybody who has seen these explain how they work? For example,  why do the filling and chocolate have to be close to each other in viscosity?

Essentially it's a tube within a tube, chocolate in the outer tube and filling in the center tube. As it comes down it deposits chocolate, then deposits filling, then finishes with chocolate. This results in a filling surrounded by chocolate. I suspect if the viscosities were very different that issues of leakage would ensue as the filling might try to float on the still liquid chocolate.

can anybody who has seen these explain how they work? For example,  why do the filling and chocolate have to be close to each other in viscosity?

Essentially it's a tube within a tube, chocolate in the outer tube and filling in the center tube. As it comes down it deposits chocolate, then deposits filling, then finishes with chocolate. This results in a filling surrounded by chocolate. I suspect if the viscosities were very different that issues of leakage would ensue as the filling might try to float on the still liquid chocolate.

so it's used for shell molding? With the difference between that the shell doesn't harden first before filling?

at the mo were looking into a knobel omega with cooling loop and a mould pre warmer, closed circuit... this thing together with three 60 kg per hour tempering machines and a stephan vacuum mixer will be around 300 k € :-/

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany