• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I have 10 Kg of Split Peas

Ceiling Fan

Hello all, first post for me although I've been reading the forums here for some time. I've got a bit of a challenge here. Recently, I was shopping at the Real Canadian Warehouse and I came across a 10 Kg bag of split peas for $7.00. I had no idea what to do with split peas other than make soup so I was a bit hesitant to purchase this bag. But then I thought $7.00 for 10 Kilos? I'm sure I can find some use for them if I try. Still a little bit unsure, I do what I always do in a situation such as this: I flipped a coin. I saw the Queen and she told me to buy it so it's now sitting in my pantry.

First thing I made with them was of course Split Pea Soup. I picked up a nice smoked ham hock from the Italian butcher up the street and it came out pretty good. I've also made a curried Split Pea Soup. That was nice. I made a kind of a creamy sauce with some baby back rib pieces, spinach, carrots, cream and some split peas for thickening it, served on rice. Weird, but it tasted surprisingly good. Tonight I am eating split pea burgers loosely based on Alton Brown's recipe from his Pea episode. I tried one for lunch and it was pretty good.

Now, I am wondering what else can I do these peas? I'm not too big on deserts but maybe I could make a desert? What about breakfast? If cooked the night before and reheated they might go good over a poached egg on toast.

Anyone else have any ideas? I will try to keep this thread updated if there is any interest in it. Maybe I'll post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it. Anyway, what does everyone else think? Does anyone want to take on this challenge and come up with some different ways of using split peas?

When my neighbor was making this dal, the aroma drifted from his kitchen windows into mine, and I asked him for the recipe.

From Robin Robertson, Fresh From The Vegetarian Slow Cooker (page 103). Available on Googlebooks:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sZ9cxS52L...rtson#PPA103,M1

Also, a Split Pea & Parsnip Soup on page 42:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sZ9cxS52L...ertson#PPA42,M1

Recently, this recipe for dal caught my eye in the Esalen Cookbook by Charlie Cascio (page 170). I haven't gotten around to cooking it yet, though.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VN6knI1ol...kbook#PPA170,M1

I love them cooked about half way done in coconut milk. I then measure the mixture to use as part of the liquid for rice and cook altogether. This is one of my all time favorite comfort foods especially when made with freshly prepared coconut milk.

If you make pastry, the peas can be used as pie weights when baking the shells for chilled/cream/chiffon pies.

Also, peas make decent filling for stuffed toys or soft sculpture (keep out of moist places)

Peas/beans can be used as anchors for holding herb sprigs or small flowers in ramekins for garnishing plates/platters. Much nicer than sand, and not as expensive as glass beads.

1/2 kg of split peas, sewn into a cloth bag, can be used as a flexible hot or cold therapy pack.

If you like the color of your particular peas, perhaps they can be used in the garden; as mulch, or as a border to delineate certain planted areas. Then dig into the soil at the end of the growing season.

Oh, and you can cook & eat them, too.

Karen Dar Woon