• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Designing, Upgrading &/or Installing a Home Bar

Chris Amirault

We were visiting a house the other day that had a classic 1960s "rec room" setup in the basement: red shag carpeting, table shuffleboard, and... a bar. It's an ugly stained maple thing, but, damn, it's the real deal: extensive shelving, storage behind and underneath, even a little sink. (Sadly no Kold-Draft machine as far as I could tell.)

I've been pondering organizational streategies for my messy liquor cabinet, but this got me going on the whole nine yards. What do you home-bar owners have currently? Let's see some photos and plans.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

We renovated our basement last year and put in a new bar. It's only this big because we needed to incorporate the structural post holding up the ceiling.

gallery_6080_205_137875.jpg

It has a bar fridge

gallery_6080_205_135517.jpg

A dishwasher and sink

gallery_6080_205_110582.jpg

Lots of shelves and cupboards

gallery_6080_205_146923.jpg

gallery_6080_205_166208.jpg

gallery_6080_205_17343.jpg

gallery_6080_205_147495.jpg

gallery_6080_205_132999.jpg

And the requiste bar sign :biggrin:

gallery_6080_205_91850.jpg

For upstairs when it's just the two of us and we don't want to traipse downstairs for every drink, we have a pull out cupboard in the kitchen with the essentials in it

gallery_6080_205_60948.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, that is an outstanding basement bar. Well composed, well lit, and just the right amount of cabinet doors. Breath-taking, really.

You have put the Oak in Oakville.

(Unless I'm confusing you with someone else from Oakville, but you know what I mean)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Marlene, that is an outstanding basement bar. Well composed, well lit, and just the right amount of cabinet doors. Breath-taking, really.

You have put the Oak in Oakville.

(Unless I'm confusing you with someone else from Oakville, but you know what I mean)

No, I'm from Oakville. :biggrin:

Holy cow! That's quite a home bar, rivaling a lot of restaurant bars I've seen.

What's the backlighting or under-counter lighting you're using?

Thanks! It kind of grew, because of that post. It was supposed to be a lot smaller. Those are LED lights. They don't get as hot as flouresents or halogen. I have them in my kitchen as well, and at the cottage. They are a little more expensive, but they last forever.

The first kitchen I did had flouresents. They were kind of flaky and flickered a bit. The second one had Halogen. I couldn't leave a bread bag underneath without it heating up, or butter without it melting. These have been great.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 1 month later...

I've been planning a bar, but nothing nearly as extravagant as that. I've already built a mobile outdoor bar (it's red and black because it was originally for a new year's party) but it's nothing fancy.

When I get around to clearing a corner of the house, I plan to put in a small bar (4-5ft long) with just the basics, since my house is small. But I do plan to have it made of dark wood to accent the rest of the room.

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".