• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is a Tootsie Roll?

Fat Guy

For the record, I love Tootsie Rolls. They're in the category of foods that need to be kept out of our house or I'd be 50 pounds even fatter.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I agree it's closer to taffy than fudge, but I still don't know what it is. The official "chewy, chocolate candy" seems accurate but not particularly catchy.

I would clarify that it would have to be, according to the FDA regulations: "Chewy, chocolatey candy."

The ingredients of a Tootsie Roll are: sugar, corn syrup, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, condensed milk, cocoa, whey, soy lecithin, orange extract, and artificial and condensed flavors.

They contain no chocolate and certainly are not chocolate themselves. They are therefore "chocolatey" or "chocolate-flavored," but certainly not "chocolate."

Edited by A Patric (log)

Why do Tootsie Rolls have to be either fudge or taffy? They makers call it a chewy candy, so why not just accept that (unless the purpose of asking is just to pass time)?

Is a chocolate caramel fudge or taffy? They're called caramels, but surely they must really be either fudge or taffy, shouldn't they? I mean, they've got a rich choclate flavour, but they're chewy. Such important questions need to be discussed. Nay, debated!