• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

May holidays: check what's open and closed

John Talbott

We have a compendium on holiday openings and closings but it omitted May (until today).

Americans, especially, may be caught off guard by the number of holidays in May during which restaurants are closed. If they are adjacent to weekends, the ponts (bridges) so created may also pose unexpected problems.

Thus call restaurants to be sure they're open on and around the following dates:

May 1 - Labor Day

May 5 - Cinco de Mayo - (just kidding, antiholiday since the French lost to Mexico.)

May 8 - Victory in Europe Day

May 21 (09) - Ascension Day (40 days after Easter Sunday)

May 31 - Pentecôte (Whitsunday)

June 1 - Lundi de Pentecôte

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask if basically everything in the city is shut down on those two days? We're headed to Paris next week. I noticed museums/major tourist attractions are open but can we expect that all shops will be closed on the 31st-1st as well? I was hoping to check out E. Dehillerin on our trip.

We have a compendium on holiday openings and closings but it omitted May (until today).

Americans, especially, may be caught off guard by the number of holidays in May during which restaurants are closed.  If they are adjacent to weekends, the ponts (bridges) so created may also pose unexpected problems.

Thus call restaurants to be sure they're open on and around the following dates:

May 1 - Labor Day

May 5 - Cinco de Mayo - (just kidding, antiholiday since the French lost to Mexico.)

May 8 - Victory in Europe Day

May 21 (09) - Ascension Day (40 days after Easter Sunday)

May 31 - Pentecôte (Whitsunday)

June 1 - Lundi de Pentecôte

Can I ask if basically everything in the city is shut down on those two days?  We're headed to Paris next week.  I noticed museums/major tourist attractions are open but can we expect that all shops will be closed on the 31st-1st as well?  I was hoping to check out E. Dehillerin on our trip. 

Most shops don't open on any Sunday, and yes a lot (if not all) will be closed on a holiday Monday.

I've booked Market for Sunday over opentable and L'Atelier Joel Robuchon on the holiday Monday (also over the internet). I've received confirmations for both so I hope they are both open?

Can I ask if basically everything in the city is shut down on those two days?  We're headed to Paris next week.  I noticed museums/major tourist attractions are open but can we expect that all shops will be closed on the 31st-1st as well?  I was hoping to check out E. Dehillerin on our trip. 

Most shops don't open on any Sunday, and yes a lot (if not all) will be closed on a holiday Monday.