• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

small-scale food businesses?

sh_kayam

Hello!

I'm doing a user study for an academic research project here - and this might be an interesting discussion anyway. It would be very helpful if you could respond to some/all the questions I have below, or... go on tangents, discuss, etc... Thanks!

I have a more interesting idea I can share here later, and maybe a link to a prototype to get feedback on, but need to collect some un-biased data first... ;-)

• What are your professional culinary interests, goals?
  • What are your thoughts on small-scale food businesses (excluding dine-in restaurants):
    • Your interest?
    • In order to achieve this kind of business... (you can pick something specific: mobile catering, specialty, etc.)
      • Culinary-related needs?
      • Non-culinary-related needs?

[*]Pros of this business?

[*]Cons of this business?

[*]If you could be given complete flexibility on the operations regarding the amount of meals to provide, the variety to provide, and the days/times you would provide them without any negative impact on the business – would you feel differently about this kind of business?

• How would it change your responses above?
    • What would be your preferences on the amount and type of meals you’d prefer to prepare and the schedule during which you would offer them?

[*]What kind of information would you be able to provide potential customers with regarding the food you are offering?

• Ingredients, nutritional information, price, specific day/time, pickup-location?
    • Other information you can think of providing, that they you want to customers to know?

[*]If there was a system you could use in order to advertise/broadcast information about your food services, what kind of technology would you prefer using?

• Web browser on computer?
    • Mobile device?
      • Text messaging
      • Application on a smartphone (iPhone, Blackberry)

[*]Other

Are you looking for us to reply publicly or through PM?

I was assuming folks to reply publicly in the thread, but either way is fine. Later on, when I get to the prototype, some one-on-one, back-and-forth discussion over PM could be really useful, if anyone is interested enough in providing that kind of feedback. But for now, just collecting some background info... =)