• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FeChef

FeChef

Sorry i am late to update my thread. This cut worked perfect for my purpose. 136.5F for 12 hours, 158F for 12 hours, the sliced meat was very tender, and very juicy. My only regret was slicing on the thicker side. I went with 3/16 and while still great, and better then any chuck roast ive used for this purpose, i think 1/8 thickness would have made it 10x better. Me being lazy is to blame. I decided to use my Magna Wonder Knife instead of my hobart slicer because i didn't want the extra clean up for only a 3lb roast. The roast was chilled but i didnt want to slice too thin with the Magna Knife and end up with crumbled meat. But in hindsight, the slices would have held up even at 1/16 if i wanted to go that thin. Oh well, maybe i will get lucky and find this cut again sometime in the next decade.

I cut out the sinew/gristle line in the center after it was cooked, chilled and sliced. It wasn't too difficult, and the dog seemed to enjoy it.

FeChef

FeChef

Sorry i am late to update my thread. This cut worked perfect for my purpose. 136.5F for 12 hours, 158F for 12 hours, the sliced meat was very tender, and very juicy. My only regret was slicing on the thicker side. I went with 3/16 and while still great, and better then any chuck roast ive used for this purpose, i think 1/8 thickness would have made it 10x better. Me being lazy is to blame. I decided to use my Magna Wonder Knife instead of my hobart slicer because i didn't want the extra clean up for only a 3lb roast. The roast was chilled but i didnt want to slice to thin with the Magna Knife and end up with crumbled meat. But in hindsight, the slices would have held up even at 1/16 if i wanted to go that thin. Oh well, maybe i will get lucky and find this cut again sometime in the next decade.