• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cubanos: Rillettes subbed for Roast Pork?

maggiethecat

I am engaged in a death march with an excellent ham. I also have a couple of pounds of rillettes in my freezer, so I'm not going to be roasting pork soon.

I'm craving a Cubano. Could I sub some rillettes for the pork, or would it get too fatty during grilling?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It would no longer officially be a "Cubano" but it would likely be delicious.

FWIW, I like a little extra fat on my Cubanos and usually smear them with an inauthentic but tasty homemade lime/cumin/coriander mayo.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thanks for your support, Dudes. I'm making them tonight and will report.

Any verdict?

Oh, and if you have yet more rillettes you want to use up, think a verde posole. Would be mighty tasty, and you just might have the fixing in the pantry; if not, they are dirt cheap.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I used the rillettes and the ham, the cheese the homemade focacacia, and the pickle. On the pannini grille, the results were gorgeous, but for one thing: too much mustard! It overpowered the sandwich. Our dumb Bad. The rillettes worked great, like sensuous porky butter.

When I cleaned the grille there were solid puddles of pork fat from the rillettes. Many puddles.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The rillettes worked great, like sensuous porky butter...

:blink: Holy mother. That sounds amazing. Next time less mustard, more pickles! All that porky goodness needs some salt...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol