• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avoiding chain restaurants

A while back we took an "eating trip" to Arizona and New Mexico. We did not plan it that way, but we had our best meals in "mom & pop" or chef owned restaurants, restaurants with chefs who did not own/cook elsewhere.

Coming to think of it, although we eat in all sorts of places at home, our favorite restaurants are chef or mom&pop owned:Obelisk in DC, Thai Square in Arlington, VA, A. Litteri for deli, and so on.

We are planning a trip to Miami and Key West. We will be driving from Williamsburg, VA and the goal is, if possible, not to eat in any of the chain restaurants, in other words, no Burger King, no Chillis(sp), no Applebees,(sp) No Hilton Hotel, no to all that. By our definition it would also be NO to any of Battali or Colicchio type places. :biggrin:

Is this doable? We have lots of recommendations for "our kind of places" in Miami's Little Havana, but nothing elsewhere.

Since this is a long trip as it is, we would not want to drive extra 50 miles for a mom & pop place in Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA...but we would drive a few extra miles off the interstate to avoid lunch at McDonalds. :rolleyes:

I drove from Ft Lauderdale to Key West and back last spring, and it was easy to avoid chains (or tourist traps with bad food) along the way. Search the FLA board for a recent thread on Key West for some good tips.

Edited to add: here's a recent thread on Key West & environs dining.

Edited by HungryC (log)

I love the mom and pop places. I have had many memorable meals in out of the way shacks.

I will be heading to Arizona in April. The wife and kids aren't as adventuresome. Hopefully we can find someplace memoreable.

I would be surprised if on that trip you would be unable to find what you are looking for.

I am semi-familiar with the East coast of Florida around Sanibel-Captiva. i wish I had some rccomendations for you.

Good luck and please report back.

The book Road Food, by Jane and Michael Stern, is a great resource for mom-and-pop, non-chain restaurant listings. It's organized by region so it's easy to pinpoint the places along your route.

Certainly, you will want to include a North Carolina barbecue stop along this route. I don't have a ton of experience with the places right near I-95 -- unfortunately Mitchell's in Wilson is closed and I haven't been to Parker's (though I hear it's good). Somebody with NC expertise will surely chime in, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The Carolinas are easy. Just get off where there is a smallish town, especially a county seat, within a few miles of the Interstate. You'll find good barbecue and/or home cooking in most of them.

I generally look for the town square or city hall / court house. Almost always one or more home cooking joints within walking distance. If all else fails, stop by the fire or police department. That has never failed.

Same might work in Georgia. Don't know Florida that well, but what I do know is more developed meaning it is harder to find the good food among the plastic

Some so-called tourist traps can be both fun and good eating. There are misguided souls that call Red's Eats a tourist trap.

The book Road Food, by Jane and Michael Stern, is a great resource for mom-and-pop, non-chain restaurant listings. It's organized by region so it's easy to pinpoint the places along your route.

Roadfood has a website too. Much more current than their books. If you join Roadfood, they have a system to download their recommends to a GPS.

Come to think of it, HollyEats - Eating the South also has a bunch of listings along your route.

Finally look for opportunities to drive a hundred miles off the Interstate system without going too far off course. Much more interesting and much better eating.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I drove from Ft Lauderdale to Key West and back last spring, and it was easy to avoid chains (or tourist traps with bad food) along the way.  Search the FLA board for a recent thread on Key West for some good tips.

Edited to add:  here's a recent thread on Key West & environs dining.

Thank you so much. I printed the entire thread and put it in a folder that we will take with us.

The Carolinas are easy.  Just get off where there is a smallish town, especially a county seat, within a few miles of the Interstate.  You'll find good barbecue and/or home cooking in most of them.

I generally look for the town square or city hall / court house.  Almost always one or more home cooking joints within walking distance.  If all else fails, stop by the fire or police department.  That has never failed.

Same might work in Georgia.  Don't know Florida that well, but what I do know is more developed meaning it is harder to find the good food among the plastic

Some so-called tourist traps can be both fun and good eating.  There are misguided souls that call Red's Eats a tourist trap.

Roadfood has a website too. Much more current than their books. If you join Roadfood, they have a system to download their recommends to a GPS.

Come to think of it, HollyEats - Eating the South also has a bunch of listings along your route.

Finally look for opportunities to drive a hundred miles off the Interstate system without going too far off course. Much more interesting and much better eating.

Thank you for the website. I registered last night, but being a total computer idiot did not do well. I started by checking out Arlington, VA where I live, and each time came empty handed, although I know we have mom and pop places around here. I will try again today, when I have a bit more time.

Certainly, you will want to include a North Carolina barbecue stop along this route. I don't have a ton of experience with the places right near I-95 -- unfortunately Mitchell's in Wilson is closed and I haven't been to Parker's (though I hear it's good). Somebody with NC expertise will surely chime in, though.

Thank you, I am off to Borders, as I did not do well with the website, although I will try to navigate it tonight. I don't know how I missed this book, it turns out a number of my friends have been using it.