• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Recipe for LARGE Quantity of Alfredo Sauce

kbjesq

I need to make approximately 2 galllons of alfredo sauce on Saturday. Well, it doesn't have to exactly be alfredo sauce, because I'm serving a large group of folks who wouldn't know the difference between the "real thing" and a knock-off.

Due to budget concerns, I won't be able to purchase high quality parmesan cheese in large quantity (I'm buying some, but am planning to sprinkle the good stuff on just before service). The basic idea for the dish is to provide a tomato and meat-free option for some of the diners. Kind of a riff on pasta primavera.

The other main course offered is a baked ziti with meatballs and standard tomato sauce.

This is a volunteer position for me, and the food is to be served to high school age students at no charge to them. So if any of you have some ideas (especially proportions) on how to best sauce this pasta dish on an economical basis, please share! Note that this dish will be held in the oven prior to service, so I don't want it to be too dry.

Thanks for any takers . . . some days I wonder why I volunteer for these projects!

One year I made pasta primavera and the heartland gathering in Ann Arbor. I remember making WAY too much. It was a Fine Cooking recipe( on the cover) that was from one of those special cookbooks.

Why not make a cheesy bechamel instead and then you can undercook the pasta and just bake it like a macaroni and cheese.

Randi is spot on. I am going to do a bechamel type sauce and give it a new name! Brilliant!

I still would love comments on quantities, though. I have to make enough for 100 ppl to have approx 4 oz. each (as there will be other dishes served, I think 4 oz. pp will be enough).

I'm planning on 1.5 oz (dry) pasta pp, which is about 9 lbs. How much sauce should I make? Is two ounces of sauce pp sufficient? Approx. 2 gallons?

Thanks for the GREAT idea! (Why didn't I think of that???)

Sounds much like what I served last week, right down to the bechamel and 100 servings :-)

Your proportions sound find, although you may want to have a quart or two of heavy cream "just in case". The shape of your pans will influence the final amount of sauce needed. Make the sauce a little thinner than usual, too, since you're planning to "hold" the finished dishes.

A sprinkle of seasoned crumbs over the top can help to (a) extend the "good" cheese you buy and (b) hide the dry edges which may come from holding.

Eggs in the bechamel will give the sauce a little more body, and boost the protein quotient.

You ARE going to cook the pasta the day before or way early on the day of, right?

Karen Dar Woon

Sounds much like what I served last week, right down to the bechamel and 100 servings :-)

Your proportions sound find, although you may want to have a quart or two of heavy cream "just in case". The shape of your pans will influence the final amount of sauce needed. Make the sauce a little thinner than usual, too, since you're planning to "hold" the finished dishes.

A sprinkle of seasoned crumbs over the top can help to (a) extend the "good" cheese you buy and (b) hide the dry edges which may come from holding.

Eggs in the bechamel will give the sauce a little more body, and boost the protein quotient.

You ARE going to cook the pasta the day before or way early on the day of, right?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I am going to cook the pasta the day before. I will make the sauces and assemble the day of service.

You have some good tips and thanks for reassuring me about the sauce quantity. I looked in my cook book "Food for Fifty" and it said to use 6 oz (!) of sauce pp. I don't think that can possibly be correct. I will have some extra heavy cream on hand - that is a very good idea!

Thanks again, wish me luck! (One of my volunteer helpers just cancelled) :wacko: