• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Wines $10 and under -- 2009

Richard Kilgore

I've got a bunch of these three which are good, and all under $12 CAD:

CONO SUR PINOT NOIR from Chile

PAINTED TURTLE MERLOT from Canada

ALIANCA BAIRRADA RESERVA from Portugal

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Lets see...Little James Basket Bress Red (non vintage due to the use of a solera system by the winemaker) mostly Grenache based some of which comes from new vine plantings in an ancient (dating back to Roman Times) Gigondas vineyard.

Wishing Tree Shiraz tends to be an annual winner...imported by the "Australian Premium Wine Collection" I had a chance to hang out with John Larchet (owner of "Premium Wine Collection) for about a week while we traveled through out Bugundy..Great Guy with a great sense of humor...Great Palate...Check out this podcast of him @ Podcast Page

If you are into wines from Argentina...you should also try the Silvertop Malbec. I would consider this another winner in this $10 category. Malbec originated in France; however philoxera nearly wiped it out. It is now growing and doing very well in both Cahors (France) and Argentina

On a whim yesterday I risked picking up this Chilean Cab - Atacama 2007, a mere $3.49 on clearance at World Market. I think it was originally about $9. I was not even looking for wine when I walked in the door. Somewhat better wines available in many places for $9, but for $3.49 it's a drinkable everyday bargain.