• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream and butter in sauces

stuartlikesstrudel

Hi all,

I've been reading the Alice B. Toklas cookbook which I was given as a gift - it's part autobiography interspersed with recipes. I haven't really done any French cooking before so it's quite interesting in that respect... lots of sauces, herbs and elaborate cooking.

In most of the sauces, it seems that when butter is added, it specifically mentions not to stir it in, but just to tip the pan and let the butter kind of melt in. Similarly with cream, it often says to tilt the pan, and make sure it doesn't come to the boil.

I'm just interested as to why this might be... does it change the texture or taste? i add cream into my sauces which probably sometimes reach a boil.

I thought that perhaps it is outdated or unnecessary advice?