• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

6 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Any tips on finding one?

Google "knife sharpening services" with your city/state/province added.

If you live in a small community, it may not do you much good. I live in the 7th largest city in NC, which is butted up contiguously to the second largest, Raleigh. Cary has a population of 150,000 and Raleigh has over 500,000. I only found two local sources for knife sharpening on line. One in Cary at a kitchen store for home cooks here in Cary, and one in the Raleigh farmers market. It's worth a try, though.

Several mail-in services popped up too. Wouldn't it be difficult to wrap knives for safe shipping? None of the sites that offered services for mail order offered advice on the Google results. Maybe they do when you click into them.

Edited to add:

I'm happy as a clam with home sharpening on my otherwise broken electric can-opener that I was gifted circa 1991. This sucker is heavy and does a great job with my knives. That's the only reason I keep this bulky thing around.

The can opener part has dulled and is no longer functional, but the abrasive wheel with guides works just fine for my needs to sharpen knives. The newer, more cheaply made can-opener I bought when I broke my right thumb saving my cat from a fall opens cans fine, but is a butcher of knife blades.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

Any tips on finding one?

If you live in a small community, it may not do you much good. I live in the 7th largest city in NC, which is butted up contiguously to the second largest, Raleigh. Cary has a population of 150,000 and Raleigh has over 500,000. I only found two local sources for knife sharpening on line. One in Cary at a kitchen store for home cooks here in Cary, and one in the Raleigh farmers market. It's worth a try, though.

Several mail-in services popped up too. Wouldn't it be difficult to wrap knives for safe shipping? None of the sites that offered services for mail order offered advice on the Google results. Maybe they do when you click into them.

Edited to add:

I'm happy as a clam with home sharpening on my otherwise broken electric can-opener that I was gifted circa 1991. This sucker is heavy and does a great job with my knives. That's the only reason I keep this bulky thing around.

The can opener part has dulled and is no longer functional, but the abrasive wheel with guides works just fine for my needs to sharpen knives. The newer, more cheaply made can-opener I bought when I broke my right thumb saving my cat from a fall opens cans fine, but is a butcher of knife blades.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

Any tips on finding one?

Several mail in services popped up too.