• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Babbo (First 6 Years)

macrosan

Will be heading up to Babbo (from DC) in a couple of weeks. We were considering getting the traditional tasting menu, though that seems to be against the consensus here for the pasta menu (I just don't know if I'm up for an entire meal of pasta). Am curious about the negative comments on the wines pairings, though. I'm no wine expert, but I've had the two dessert wines that are paired on the traditional tasting menu and thought they were both excellent (Moscato d’Asti and 20-year Graham's Tawny). I'm surprised that the rest of the wines wouldn't be of the same quality level. What about the quartino options? Are they any good?

Edited by cjsadler (log)

Chris Sadler

I've been meaning to get to this and will expound as soon as I'm through with work. We had the tasting menu last year which was very good, not excellent but very good. We ordered off the menu this year and what a mistake. I should have gone with the pasta tasting menu but I had eaten at 2pm and we sat at 5:30. It was simple put, average. The sommieier led us to a 93' Barbareco that I waited to open up and never did. Good thing I had 4 quartino's at Otto earlier. :wacko:

I'm going back in Feburary and will sit at the bar and have the tasting menu.

• 1 month later...

I have a reservation for Babbo at 8:30 next Friday night (March 5) for 2.

Unfortunately, I also had a reservation for Per Se the night before so my trip to New York is going to be on hold for a few months.

If anyone is interested in snagging this reservation before I call cancel it (I am assuming that it wouldn't be a problem for someone other than me to show up and claim it) feel free to PM me.

(Admin: with a major new review in the New York Times on June 9, 2004, we have started a new thread for reviews, reports and general discussion of Babbo: here)

Edited by slkinsey (log)

Bill Russell