• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple tasting ideas ?

pjm333

Some apple foundation is comming to where I work and the chef wants me to make a apple tasting for them. I have several ideas but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas ? Thanks..

1. Lady apple beignet

2. Apple creme brulee

3. Apple sorbet

4. Apple crisp/buckle

5. Apple dumpling

6. Apple strudel

7. Apple chips

8. Clear apple caramel sauce

9. Apple upsidedown

10. Apple tart

Apple Bread Pudding

Apple streusel coffee cake

Apple bread (quick bread)

Apple Pie

Apple cheesecake

Apple danish

Caramel Apple Cake

Apple turnover

Apple Charlotte

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

May I ask the purpose of the tasting? Did they request that apples be used in each dish, or is this the chef's idea? Personally, if by business were selling/promoting apples, I would probably be appled-out and wouldn't want every dish to contain apples. But perhaps they're hoping to use some of the recipes as promotional tools?

And will you be using different types of apples in each of the dishes? If you could let us know which apples you'll be using or have access to, it would help narrow down the suggestions. If you do apple chips, I would have different types of apples, so they can distinguish between the different flavours of each apple type, for example.

I'd do the same with applesauce or apple butter, if you were to include either (or both) of those somehow.

You might also want to consider textures--a lot of the things already mentioned have very similar textures. Have something flakey, something crunchy, something cakey, and something smooth. I would also consider using recipes from different places--like having a Dutch appeltaart, a Tarte Tatin, etc. Abra recently had a sort of apple terrine on her blog (French Letters), something with apples and cheese (apple cheddar ice cream--I wonder how that would work?) for the US, etc.

All the dishes mentioned also focus solely on apples. It might be nice to show how apples can combine with other ingredients--like in an apple cranberry tart or something like that.

prasantrin,

The idea of the tasting came from the party organizer and the chef loves the idea. I use Golden delicious at work and have a small case of lady apples to use also. I have many apple recipes to choose from but like you said texture is my main concern and thats where im having trouble.

Right now Im going to use,

1. Lady apple beignet / hot

2. apple "lasagna" layers of apples and caramel powder / room temp

3. Apple cinn sorbet/ granitee

And for garnish I have apple chips, apple caramel sauce, poached apples. A co worker has that machine where I can make fishnet or long thin strips etc with apples. Thanks again for your help..

patrick

And will you be using different types of apples in each of the dishes?  If you could let us know which apples you'll be using or have access to, it would help narrow down the suggestions.  If you do apple chips, I would have different types of apples, so they can distinguish between the different flavours of each apple type, for example.

MAJOR importance that!

Honestly, an "apple tasting" of different presentations of Golden Delicious (which is famously neither) is unlikely to impress or delight those who 'know their apples' ... Time to explore the rich diversity of apple varieties!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan