• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

https://www.eefkooktzo.nl/apple-butter-appel-boter/

Apple butter originated in Holland and Germany.  Here is one recipe. Translation of ingredients in order:

[...]

Thanks so much for the link and the translation.  For some reason, truly unknown to me, I thought the origins of apple butter were in England.

Since I've only had apple butter once, probably about 50 years ago, and never as a glaze of any sort, I really don't know what I'm looking for.  However, when I make apple sauce, I like to keep it simple, and never add sugar or flavorings with the sometimes exception of a touch of lemon juice.

I'll start simply with a small batch on the stovetop.  I don't own a slow cooker, although I understand that the Instant Pot can be used as one.  Maybe I'll look into that.

Anyway, thanks again.

Shel_B

Shel_B

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

https://www.eefkooktzo.nl/apple-butter-appel-boter/

Apple butter originated in Holland and Germany.  Here is one recipe. Translation of ingredients in order:

Apples, peeled and cored

Light brown sugar

Vanilla sugar

Cinnamon

Nutmeg

Ginger

Cloves

All spices are ground.  Eetlepel is tablespoon, theelepel is teaspoon.

Put everything in a slow cooker and cook for 10 hours on low, stirring every now and again.  Puree.  Put back in a pot and reduce to desired consistency.

I read some of the reviews and a few people thought the spicing was a bit heavy.  Someone suggested using half.  Personally I'm not a big fan of cloves so I'd reduce that for sure.  Anyways, I hope this is akin to what you're looking for.

Thanks so much for the link and the translation.  For some reason, truly unknown to me, I thought the origins of apple butter were in England.

Since I've only had apple butter once, probably about 50 years ago, and never as a glaze of any sort, I really don't know what I'm looking for.  However, when I make apple sauce, I like to keep it simple, and never add sugar or flavorings with the sometimes exception of a touch of lemon juice.

I'll start simply with a small batch on the stovetop.  I don't own a slow cooker, although I understand that the Instant Pot can be used as one.  Maybe I'll look into that.

Anyway, thanks again.