• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve 2008/2009

lhollers

Hello fellow egulleteers!

I am a law student in Vermillion, SD (just south of Sioux Falls, SD) and was hoping to find somewhere in the Midwest to have a culinary New Year's Eve celebration! My girlfriend and I very much enjoy food and drink, and would love to know if anyone has heard anything regarding possible events over the new year. Best case scenario would be tasting menu accompanied by an enjoyable night, but we would be open to suggestions... Alinea is tops on our list, but we realize that goal is a little far-fetched lol! The Midwest is by no means a limitation, we would just love to keep the Chicago dream alive...if there is word of anything in the South, Vegas, NY, CA, etc., we would be more than willing to consider!!!

We appreciate all the help and hope that this generates some response!

Logan

Alinea is tops on our list, but we realize that goal is a little far-fetched lol! The Midwest is by no means a limitation, we would just love to keep the Chicago dream alive...

Alinea is closed at that time for holiday break anyway.

Chicago has all the usual food attractions, from high-end food (even with Alinea closed, we still have Avenues, Everest, Charlie Trotter's, and tru), to casual fine dining (Aigre Doux and dozens more), to ethnic (just about every ethnicity, plus combinations like Latin fusion, pan-Asian, and even Indian-Latin), to our delicious deep-dish pizza and other local specialties.

Alinea is tops on our list, but we realize that goal is a little far-fetched lol! The Midwest is by no means a limitation, we would just love to keep the Chicago dream alive...

Alinea is closed at that time for holiday break anyway.

Chicago has all the usual food attractions, from high-end food (even with Alinea closed, we still have Avenues, Everest, Charlie Trotter's, and tru), to casual fine dining (Aigre Doux and dozens more), to ethnic (just about every ethnicity, plus combinations like Latin fusion, pan-Asian, and even Indian-Latin), to our delicious deep-dish pizza and other local specialties.

I realize that and would be more than happy to go with such prestigious venues as Charlie Trotter's, Avenues, or Everest - I had simply thrown the name out there to see if anyone knew of Alinea's policy...

As to the actual evening, we were looking more for if anyone knew of specific events that were going on at these locations for the New Year's Eve...regardless of where it is at, we wanted at least some ideas!

Thanks for the info on Alinea!

Chicago is fun any time of year, of course, but I prefer it when it's not end-of-December cold. Your living in SD may make that a non-issue for you, though. :wink:

DC may be outside your preferred geographical range, but Ms. Alex and I have had a splendid time there on and around New Year's Eve. Last year, for example, we attended a late performance by jazz/pop/theater singer Audra McDonald in the relatively intimate Terrace Room at the Kennedy Center. (The terrace itself overlooks the Potomac.) This year features a performance by New York Voices and the Dizzy Gillespie All-Star Big Band. You can hit the 7:30 show then go to dinner at any one of a number of excellent places, most of which are bound to have a special NYE menu. We ate at Circle Bistro, which is not Alinea-level (or even Tru- or onesixtyblue-) but was excellent in its own right (and walking distance from Kennedy Center). The best higher-end options, at least the ones I'm semi-acquainted with, are the Minibar at Cafe Atlantico (spiritual second cousin once removed to Alinea), Citronelle, Komi, Palena, and Mendocino Grille. Here's a good DC restaurant resource.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Metromix usually does a pretty good job of keeping track of NYE events at restaurants.  I would start there if you're looking for ideas.  You could also just pick up the phone and call any restaurants you might be interested in to see what they have going on.

Yup. That's good advice. The Metromix website is here. The listings are searchable; for a search on New Year's Eve listings, click here. The listings are constantly updated, and seem to get a lot more comprehensive about two weeks before a holiday.

Opentable also has listings for special arrangements for restaurants which accept reservations there. Right now they only show Thanksgiving arrangements, but they will probably show specials for Christmas and New Year's Eve starting a few weeks from now.