• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris in October: markets

KerriHK

Our most favorite market to visit on Sunday is on Boulevard Raspail...it's wonderful, organic, and in a beautiful neighborhood, and I believe it's called Marche Biologique Raspail.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Y'know, we used to love that Raspail market, weinoo. But in January, we were underwhelmed. Maybe because it was off season? We'd been there before and liked it. But last time, we thought it to be touristy and not as clean/fresh ingredients as some of the other markets.

Go to Motte Picquet - Grenelle on Sunday in the 15th near the Eiffel Tower and La Gauloise restaurant (old fashioned and not cheap but good) and also La Villa Corse, a Corsican place - http://www.lavillacorse.com/

At Place d'Italie in the 13th is Marche Blvd Auguste Blanqui (and another marche right there near Chinatown that's good too).

These are where the locals go, not a lot of tourists at all. Good fun.

And, you can buy those fantastic scarves for so much cheaper than out front of Galerie Lafayette or even Raspail. Good gifts to bring back.

Philly Francophiles

We went to the market on Avenue du President Wilson this morning (Saturday). It starts near the Place de L'Alma and goes on for a fair number of blocks. If there were lots of tourists there - they were tourists with shopping bags buying things to cook in their rooms for dinner :smile: . If you want to buy and sample things that can be eaten standing up - like yogurt - bring a spoon (the stands don't have any). A lot of the food stuffs looked terrific. Also - there are 3 lesser known museums in the area that I can recommend. Musee du Quai de Branley - the Modern Art Museum of the City of Paris in the Palais de Tokyo - and the Cite de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine in the Palais de Chaillot. The first and third are relatively new - and worth seeing for their architecture as well as their contents. The famous Musee Guimet is also in the neighborhood - but we haven't seen it. Robyn

P.S. Another nice thing about the Wilson market is that right in back of the Joel Thiebault stand (which is fine - but looking at veggies isn't the same as eating them) is a restaurant called Tokyo Eat (in the museum). You can get a starter of some Thiebault radishes (several varieties) plus Bordier butter plus nice bread for 8 euros. There aren't many places where you can sample Thiebault veggies and Bordier butter for 8 euros. Our mains (veggie plate and grilled dorade) were also relatively inexpensive and quite good. We kind of stumbled on the restaurant - not knowing what to expect (all I know is I liked the decor and was hungry) - and were very pleased with our lunch. Robyn

One of my favorites is the Marché Aligre in the 12th, I prefer the covered market but the general market is something to see, although a bit crazy and the quality is not always great, depending on who you buy from. On Sundays it is a zoo. On one of the side streets is also Blé du Sucre, which has great bread and pastries and a few tables set up outside. And you can also stop off for a glass of wine at the Baron Rouge (or is it Bouge?) which you can't miss as there is a sea of people spilling into the streets.

And the Marché near Bastille on Richard Lenoir is also great on Sundays.

That said, if you are near the Marché Biologique on Sunday, it is one my favorites as well. I especially love the guy selling potato and onion cakes. And there is an American selling carrot cake and banana bread. I am not so sure it is touristy, but certainly very expensive.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com