• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

25 for $25, again

Both had the New Zealand venison - terrific.

I'd be interested in hearing more details of the meal if you're willing to share. When I went for the $25 dinner, I thought the Thanksgiving menu looked quite good.

Unfortunately, my memory of the details of a meal is rather short. I marvel at the detail that some people are able to provide so these comments will pale in comparison.

In contrast to most venison I have had, this one was rack of venison. Two or three pieces, fairly thick, but cooked to a rare to medium-rare perfection. I tend to like a red wine sauce with venison and other game meats, and when this arrived with none, I was a bit disappointed. Any disappointment disappeared when I tasted it. This so dominated the meal that I cannot remember the other courses.

I hope they keep the venison on the menu or at least bring it back for occasional guest appearances, along with the kobe-style beef.

Both had the New Zealand venison - terrific.

I'd be interested in hearing more details of the meal if you're willing to share. When I went for the $25 dinner, I thought the Thanksgiving menu looked quite good.

Unfortunately, my memory of the details of a meal is rather short. I marvel at the detail that some people are able to provide so these comments will pale in comparison.

In contrast to most venison I have had, this one was rack of venison. Two or three pieces, fairly thick, but cooked to a rare to medium-rare perfection. I tend to like a red wine sauce with venison and other game meats, and when this arrived with none, I was a bit disappointed. Any disappointment disappeared when I tasted it. This so dominated the meal that I cannot remember the other courses.

I hope they keep the venison on the menu or at least bring it back for occasional guest appearances, along with the kobe-style beef.

Did anyone try Cascadia during this promotion?

After talking to some of the Canlis staff and finding out that they consider Cascadia to be one of their competitors, I was excited to go and try it out. My experience was anything but positive. IMO

I'm sad to say this, but the food was bland for the caliber it was raved to be and the staff was unfriendly.

What are your experiences?

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Did anyone try Cascadia during this promotion?

After talking to some of the Canlis staff and finding out that they consider Cascadia to be one of their competitors, I was excited to go and try it out. My experience was anything but positive. IMO

I'm sad to say this, but the food was bland for the caliber it was raved to be and the staff was unfriendly.

What are your experiences?

I ate at Cascadia this summer and had a very dissapointing meal - see my review here (scroll almost to the bottom). I had the same problem - lack of flavor. There are a couple other reviews and much discussion in the same thread. Based on my experience with their "signature" tasting menu, I would never go back to Cascadia.

I have to be honest here. I don't really remember what I ate. Knowing that it was during the 25 for $25 promotion, it was one of everything they offered on that special menu.

I was really looking forward to trying the restaurant. I didn't have any preconceptions, nor did I have any knowledge about the philosophy of Cascadia. I went in with an open mind and expected a fine dining experience. I liked the "waterfall" by the kitchen, I liked the decor and the colorful plates but I didn't like the pretentious attitude of this venue. There were only two occupied tables in the whole restaurant, yet the reception was turning down walk-ins. The waitstaff was very short with us and frowned upon us not ordering any wine to go along with our dinner selection. (pardonez moi, but since when is it a faux pas to not partake in the wine selection when dining? Another thread? :unsure: Perhaps.)

We ordered "one of everything" on the menu and as the dishes came out I felt more and more like I was eating at a healthfood restaurant. Everything seemed very fresh but had no flavor. There were no distinct spices or herbs, no interesting sauces, no complexity to the dishes and the presentation was not especially creative either. All of the aspects that make a fine dining experience enjoyable for me were not represented here at all. I jokingly mentioned to my husband: "This is the ideal place to go when you're on a diet...not only is all the food healthy, but it's prepared so bland that you won't want to eat much of it", his response: "and you'll leave lighter too, because your wallett will weigh less"......ok, ok, ok....sorry about all this, but I couldn't help it. :biggrin:

To summarize, IMO Cascadia is a great restaurant to dine at if simplified cuisine is the goal. Health, freshness, simplicity and colorful dining is what best describes my dinner there. With the increased awareness to healthy eating and exercising that seems to be so heavily promoted especially on the west coast I can understand why it has become a popular place to dine. This does make me wonder though: Where's the Ban'Cha? :raz:

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

seawakim - Your description very accurately describes our experience at Cascadia during the 25/25 last March. When we started ordering from the 25 menu, the waiter almost sighed in exasperation, as if to indicate his disgust. Setting is nice but the attitude was unbearable, and the food was bland. Have not been back since but then again, I doubt that they care as we clearly do not meet their "standards" as clientele.

I was lucky enough to go to Assagio's, Cascadia, Szmania's Lake Street, Tulio, Yarrow Bay Grill, 727 Pine, Earth and Ocean, Etta's, The Hunt Club at the Sorrento, Ponti, Vivanda and Canlis.

jezuz seawakim. I think I hit 4 restaurants during the 25/25 special. You hit 12 and you weren't even here for the whole promotion?!? I'm impressed! maybe you wouldn't mind an extra dinner companion?! ;-)

Born Free, Now Expensive

LOL, I was trying to hit them ALL! :biggrin: I never get the chance to sample Seattle restaurants (I'm always travelling for work).....there were some days on which I ate lunch and dinner and there were other days on which I was forced to eat solo because my husband was unable to juggle his schedule accordingly. I actually didn't mind it at all. Eating alone is a whole different experience because one is not as distracted by their companion and therefore more able to focus on the food.

Malarkey, when they do the promotion in March I would love to have an eGullletaire join me in touring the restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to a press release on Restaurant Zoe's web site, 25 for $25 is back on for March 2003:

• SUNDAY, MARCH 2nd to MONDAY, MARCH 31st, 2003
    25 for $25 Promotion
    Dine Around Seattle
    Sunday through Thursday nights
    It's back. The bi-annual, city-wide dining promotion that you have come to know and love! 25 of the city's best, fine-dining restaurants come together to offer diners 3 course, prix fixe dinners for $25. Restaurant Zoë was one of the hottest locations in town during the last promotion. Make your reservation early at (206) 256-2060.

I've been to Zoe a couple of times. Their specialty drinks are great, the appetizers were fabulous, and the entrees were... um, pretty good. I thought they fell a bit short of the apps, but by no means were they bad. Nice place, worth going to. comfortable, come in and stay awhile type vibe. Also, I heard one of the funniest stories from a server there, prompted because we ordered the sweetbreads for an app.

he said someone ordered them, and once they'd arrived, they summoned him back to the table, exclaiming "I thought this was something sweet, take it away, I don't eat meat, I only eat things that swim"

so when he returns the sweetbreads to the kitchen, he said "she only eats things that swim". Someone in the kitchen said "so give her the foie gras"

its a joke, ok? please no flames!

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 1 month later...

By the way, I was informed that Earth & Ocean is not only participating, but they will be changing their $25 menu every week, including three new dessert choices per week.

Here's my list (and I'm going to make it to more than one this time, dammit):

Earth & Ocean

The Georgian Room

Hunt Club

727 Pine

Nishino

Tulio

Nell's

I'm so excited! :biggrin: I love 25 for $25. We sampled many restaurants during the November promotion and we hope to be able to do the same this time as well as returning to some of our favorites from last time. Here's our list:

Nell's

Restaurant Zoe

The Georgian Room

Barking Frog

Andaluca

Kaspar's (not sure on this one)

we will also return to:

Earth and Ocean

727 Pine

Any plans on an eGullet dinner during this time?

Edited by seawakim (log)

Any plans on an eGullet dinner during this time?

Sure! Propose a couple of dates and places and see if anyone bites.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

If 727 Pine is doing the Kobe beef thing again, that will be at the top of my list.

Has anyone tried Waterfront ($25 or otherwise)? I've shied away from it because it seems very pricey, but would consider giving it a shot.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

If 727 Pine is doing the Kobe beef thing again, that will be at the top of my list.

Has anyone tried Waterfront ($25 or otherwise)?  I've shied away from it because it seems very pricey, but would consider giving it a shot.

I posted on Waterfront in November's 25.

Here's my list (and I'm going to make it to more than one this time, dammit):

Earth & Ocean

The Georgian Room

Hunt Club

727 Pine

Nishino

Tulio

Nell's

I like your list, NSM. all places I've never been except for Nishino.

geez, the Georgian Room is participating?!

Born Free, Now Expensive

Has anyone tried Waterfront ($25 or otherwise)?  I've shied away from it because it seems very pricey, but would consider giving it a shot.

We have been several times, including last night for a wonderful wine dinner featuring Betz Family wines. The syrah was superb but very hard to find. We bought Fremont Wine Bar's last bottle this evening.

In general, we like Waterfront very much. Great food (but pricey), excellent service, beautiful site and very reasonable valet parking ($5). For a real treat, ask to meet the chef, Steve Cain. A delightful fellow who loves to schmooze with the customers.

Has anyone tried Waterfront ($25 or otherwise)? I've shied away from it because it seems very pricey, but would consider giving it a shot.

I posted on Waterfront in November's 25.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.