• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourbon House Bourbon Event

The Drinkist

I attended the dinner hosted at the Bourbon House featuring Tom Bulleit and Bulleit Bourbon last week -- would have written something sooner, but there's been something of a distraction here these last few days.

In any event, it was a very well-done event (and I had the good fortune to find myself at the same table as Mr. Bulleit and Ann Tuennerman of Tales of the Cocktail fame). The food was the best I've had at the Bourbon House. We started with cocktails and hors d'oeuvres, featuring a bourbon-spiked sangria that was just the thing on a hot day.

After everyone was seated we moved on to a sweet potato and bourbon soup (probably the best dish I had all month), followed by a pecan smoked duck salad, a bourbon and brown sugar glazed pork confit, and, finally, a caramelized Bananas Foster. Every thing served was spot on. Cocktail pairings were delicious as well -- a drink called the "Gun Slinger" based on the Singapore Sling, a straight up Bulleit, a tea-blend and with desert a bourbon milk punch. It looks like I may have to spend a little more time at their bar.

In any event, I know they're planning an event for later this month and more events like this down the road. Just wanted to let everyone know what a good experience I had and suggest that you be on the lookout for these upcoming events.

Steve Morgan

[T]he cocktail was originally intended as a brief drink, a quick aperitif to stimulate appetite and stiffen the flagging gustatory senses, but it has passed into accustomed usage as a drink to be absorbed in considerable quantity despite the admonitions of the judicious. -- Lucius Beebe