• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drying sage

elfin

I have large quantities of sage in my herb garden that I would like to dry for my Thanksgiving stuffing. I tried letting it air dry last year on paper towels and the aroma/ scent just was not there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I have large quantities of sage in my herb garden that I would like to dry for my Thanksgiving stuffing.  I tried letting it air dry last year on paper towels and the aroma/ scent just was not there.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have air dried it on a screen outside for years with good results. You might pick the older leaves, only, rather than this years , there is a difference in flavor

Bud

I pick it very early in the morning, stems and all, rubber band the base of the stems together and hang them to dry in a dark (and dry) place.

If it is too humid where you live, hang them where a fan can blow on them.

Some varieties are not as aromatic as others.

Pick a leaf and scrape your fingernail over the underside of the leaf. You should get a pungent aroma and it concentrates with drying. Dried sage is usually stronger flavored than fresh because of this concentration of the essential oils.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hi,

I also hang my basil branches but..

150 degrees in a convection oven for about an hour works nicely for almost any herbs.

Basil is remarkable when dried at home, but must be stored in the freezer.

Tim

I have large quantities of sage in my herb garden that I would like to dry for my Thanksgiving stuffing.  I tried letting it air dry last year on paper towels and the aroma/ scent just was not there.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use a Ronco food dehydrator that someone gave me years ago. It looks like this. A few hours of warm air flow over any herb from my garden does the trick.

Frozen thyme is good - try it with lemon juice and an ice cube tray.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack