• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Third generation chefs in Holland

I mentioned briefly in another post that De Kromme Watergang (in Hoofdplaat, province of Zeeland) is an definite must-go when it comes to restaurants in Holland at the moment. But that's far from all.

I have to say right now Holland is very fortunate to have a real surge of young talented chefs making a name for themselves. They're often called the Third Generation (Jonnie Boer and Sergio Herman, among others, being the second one), and most of them have opened restaurants in the more rural parts of the country.

There's Peter Gast at 't Schulten Hues in Zutphen, Niven Kunz at 't Raethuys in Wateringen, Rik Jansma at Basiliek in Harderwijk, and Mohamed Elharouchi at Solo in Gorinchem.

It didn't take long before all of them received their first Michelin star, and their performance over the last years had been so impressive to me, that they might be on their way for a second. All of these place have received marks above 90/100 in our reviews.

Has anyone else got any experience in either one of these 4 restaurants, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Maurice van Bussel

www.Knoopjelos.nl