• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamed egg dishes

Doodad

I have fallen in love with "egg cake", "steamed egg pate", Trung Chung or whatever you call it. I had it at a local Vietnamese place and talked at length with the waitress and chef about what was in it. I made a passable rendition the next weekend with the same traditional ingredients; the flavor and textures were wonderful.

So, I have already made a southern breakfast version and plan on some other combination experiments. What are the traditional western analogs of this custard like dish? I assume the French introduced the concept to the Vietnamese, but what are the dishes and their names?

Do you mean steamed agg like Japanese Chowanmushi (sp?)?  Chinese have something very similiar in which case there is no French influence at all.

Yes, I'd think if it was influenced at all, it would more likely be by the Chinese.

Steamed egg is pretty common across Asia.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I could be wrong but are you referring to the steamed egg with thin noodles and woodear mushrooms, amongst others, as part of the ingredients?

Also, I'm not too sure whether it's French-influenced dish or an entirely authentic Vietnamese one.

That is exactly what I am talking about. I made a version with hot sausage, peppers onion and cheese for breakfast and it was super.

Looking to try a cajun version this weekend.

Do you mean steamed agg like Japanese Chowanmushi (sp?)?  Chinese have something very similiar in which case there is no French influence at all.

Yes, I'd think if it was influenced at all, it would more likely be by the Chinese.

Steamed egg is pretty common across Asia.

The reason I thought there might be a connection is the long relationship the two nations had and I had never seen it elsewhere. Also, one vietnamese site specifically called it pate which made me wonder.

Don't care where it came from though. It sure is good and easy. But, there has to be a western equivalent somewhere. An omelet casserole essentially.

The reason I thought there might be a connection is the long relationship the two nations had and I had never seen it elsewhere.  Also, one vietnamese site specifically called it pate which made me wonder.

Don't care where it came from though.  It sure is good and easy.  But, there has to be a western equivalent somewhere.  An omelet casserole essentially.

Oh I see. Is there a picture of it floating about somewhere? 'Cause I may be talking about another dish haha.

Is it eggs, woodear, mung bean noodles (or beanthread), pork (or was it shrimp), spring onions and fish sauce?

Edit: I missed your post above sorry. Your hot sausage and cheese version sounds absolutely drool worthy!

Was it steamed or baked?

Edited by Ce'nedra (log)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

The reason I thought there might be a connection is the long relationship the two nations had and I had never seen it elsewhere.  Also, one vietnamese site specifically called it pate which made me wonder.

Don't care where it came from though.  It sure is good and easy.  But, there has to be a western equivalent somewhere.  An omelet casserole essentially.

Oh I see. Is there a picture of it floating about somewhere? 'Cause I may be talking about another dish haha.

Is it eggs, woodear, mung bean noodles (or beanthread), pork (or was it shrimp), spring onions and fish sauce?

Edit: I missed your post above sorry. Your hot sausage and cheese version sounds absolutely drool worthy!

Was it steamed or baked?

Steamed. Next will be jambalaya ingredients added to the egg and steamed in a green pepper. I will let you guys know how it comes out.