• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(A) Steal! "The Cook's Book"

Just letting you good folks know that Whsmith are selling The Cook's Book featuring for only £6 reduced from £30.

Featuring Ferren Adria, Peter Gorden, Shaun Hill, Dan Lepard, Atul Kochhar, David Thompson, charlie trotter and many more. It seems its ugly cover has failed to impress but the content is great.

Its an in-shop offer as far as I can tell. I just stumbled across it yesterday afternoon. Also mentioned on Dan Lepards forum. Its hardback and for the price I reckon its pretty special... Hope this clears it up.

I was singing the praises of this book a while ago too. Something for everyone, goes from how to joint a chicken right up to Ferren Adria discussing making foams. Also a very good baking and pasty section from Pierre Herme (And I don't normally even do baking!)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 5 months later...

This is definitely a very useful book and well presented. I've seen it heavily discounted from wholesalers previously (over a year ago) but seems to have been consistently back to normal for some time which is interesting/odd.

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."