• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon Hart

Schielke

I had the pleasure of receiving a bottle of Lemon Hart rum for a housewarming present a couple months ago. After the party, I was closely looking at the bottle and realized that it was a 151 proof rum. I had been affraid to drink it for a while due to my previous experience with 151 proof rum (Bacardi) being akin to drinking fire ants.

I worked up the mustard to try some on the rocks the other night and was astounded at how smooth and flavorful it was. Is this common of other decent high proof rums? Also, I was curious about your thoughts on Lemon Hart or any other info about it.

Thanks!

Ben

(Jason, this is the rum I was talking about at the Pot Luck)

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I don't have a lot of information on Lemon Hart 151 other than it is distilled in Guyana, which means chances are that it has a lot more character than the highly refined Bacardi. If it has a slight tint to the color it is from time spent aging which is also a good thing when you're drinking overproof spirts, IMO. But some people like strong rum that is straight from the still. The Lemon Hart brand has been around for centuries and was one of the first to be exported from Guyana to the UK.

Glad you liked it but I'd probably mix it with juice or something since it is strong and less than three years old.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.