• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuit Blanche 2008: where to eat and are there

robyn

I just found out that Nuit Blanche in Paris will be the night of October 4, 2008 - when we will be in town. I understand that the event is primarily artistic - but are there any food-related activities that take place (in restaurants or food stores - is there street food - whatever)? Robyn

La Nuit blanche is one of those incomprehensible Parisian events when everybody seems to be out in the street and nobody can seem to get in anywhere. It is an artistic event and not food-related at all. This year (4-5 oct. from 7 PM to 7 AM) the focus is on the train stations and churches. Not on restaurants. Maybe next year?

La Nuit blanche is one of those incomprehensible Parisian events when everybody seems to be out in the street and nobody can seem to get in anywhere. It is an artistic event and not food-related at all. This year (4-5 oct. from 7 PM to 7 AM) the focus is on the train stations and churches. Not on restaurants. Maybe next year?

I forgot to put in the link to the event description - which is here.

In other words - there is no reason to skip a dinner reservation to see if anything turns up food-wise. Just go to dinner - and then hit the streets :smile: . See what is going on. I assume that most of the people who attend and the performers are 1-2 generations younger than we are - and that things like comedy will be hard to understand (my husband's French is coming along nicely - but comedy is perhaps the hardest thing to understand in a non-native language unless you are extremely fluent).

BTW - I think every place in the world has events like you describe. The most important word that applies to all of them is "free". When "big deal" events are free - there is usually too much demand - and not enough supply - especially when it comes to parking in smaller towns/cities where one might be driving a car (which I assume is probably not the case in Paris). Robyn

• 2 months later...