• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Group dining • Friday night • No reservations

epicurious

My topic says it all... we are a group of people wanting to have a good dining experience tomorrow night in Manhattan. It's a very last minute thing so I don't think we can reserve anywhere (plus I don't know yet how many people will be in the group - between 6 & 12) Is this an impossible request or is there somewhere we can show up without a reservation and have a decent chance to be seated? We are willing to show up early if that's what it takes!

I've been to Fatty Crab before (loved it) but I remember it being very small. I also read that two of the Momofukus don't take reservations either. Would these be good bets or shoud I just look for something else?

Any help would be appreciated!!

I'd say that's just plain crazy to walk in with 12 people anywhere other than Chinatown, except that it's the summer. One day notice is much better than being a walk in with 12.

Seymour Burton will probably take a large group early in the evening - they were extremely friendly and helpful about my recent similar request. Plus, I dig the food, vibe, prices.

Chinatown Brasserie also accommodates large groups well. So does Otto. But it's really in your interest to call now and put it on their radar even if you're not sure how many people you're going to be.