• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Larsen's , Jersey City

Peter B Wolf

Family Members Introduction to this long ago established Restaurant:

" Larsen's " , 508 Bergen Avenue , 201-432-2222 , Jersey City.

The Lady and Gentleman, routinely visiting a Lady friend at a 'Assisted Cared for Home' every other Saturday , also have Lunch at the above mention Restaurant. A Turkey Sandwich , usually split between the two plus maybe a Soup for the Gent.

I am not a great Turkey Sandwich lover, especially at a Restaurant, but after the Owner (Greek) covincing me with " Just freshly roasted the Turkey this Morning " , I ordered , opting for a'Cup' of Lentil Soup ($ 1.35) as a primer.

Soup came in a 6/7 ounce 'Bowl' , and tasted terrific !!!!

Now to the Sandwich ($ 6.25), whole Wheat bread , Mayonnaise (asked for 'extra' and got a fair size Monkey Dish full of it) , Lettuce and Tomato slices ,

But the TURKEY , well , an unbelievable minimum eight (8) ounces hand carved , juicy and 'roasted' tasting white meat (65%) and very tender dark meat (35%) , this Sandwich was a Meal , and could have easely satisfied two peopel (and did) , but I had to be piggish and had the WHOLE THING.

We hope this place will always be there , even with just Lentil Soup and Turkey Sandwiches

Peter