• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fage yogurt now made in NY, and awful

Dianabanana

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found and bought the Fage Total yogurt produced in NYS.

gallery_8158_790_119650.jpggallery_8158_790_52201.jpg

I found the consistency and texture to be very similar to that of the Greek original. I did not find it to be watery or substantially different in this regard.

gallery_8158_790_84494.jpg

I had it for breakfast with blueberries and 7 Whole Grain Nuggets by Kashi.

gallery_8158_790_86050.jpg

Though I found no substantial difference with the texture, I found that this yogurt tasted less sweet to me with a slight bitterness on the finish compared to the original from Greece. This was fine with the cereal and blueberries, but slightly more noticeable on its own. Overall, I did not come away thinking that this was a bad product by any means, though possibly not quite as good on a flavor basis as the Greek original. I would buy this again if in the market for a yogurt with this texture.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Alexis, as stated:  If you're going to Fairway and want Greek-style yogurt, buy Kesso.  They always have some in stock.

Yeah, that's what I ended up getting. It's a bit tarter than Fage but the consistency is good. All the Fage I saw (Fairway and Whole Foods--out on LI) were the New York ones so I didn't try it.

The Kesso is really expensive though (I'm used to paying £1.50 for 500g) so I think I will start making my own. We go through too much of it to pay nearly $7.