• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Every Producer's Montrachet!

cabrales

Below is an extremely interesting event. While it is officially indicated to be sold out, I called and apparently there is a chance to obtain tickets if one places onself on a wait list and others do not promptly pay up. Although the price is $1500 per person, it is a sampling of wines from *every* producer of Montrachet.

"Montrachet at Montrachet

Monday, October 21st, 5:30 PM

Montrachet, 239 West Broadway at N. Moore in Tribeca

We regret that this dinner is sold out.

A Historic Tasting bringing together for the first time in the States wines from *every* producer of this legendary vineyard. Jean-Claude Wallerand, former sommelier of Le Montrachet in the village of Puligny-Montrachet, and Daniel Johnnes, Wine Director of Montrachet, will lead a stand-up walkaround tasting of **Montrachets from each of its 24 producers** and then will host a multi-course dinner to accompany older wines from the titans of this terrior"

I'd appreciate members' input on whether this meal and tasting appear worthwhile relative to the cost. :wink:

The wine alone is probably worth it. To get all 24 Montrachets in one tasting defies adjectives.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

rich -- I wonder what quantity of each a participant would receive. Also, on the "value" component (if one can call it that), does your indication of the value depend on what year(s) are served of each Montrachet? Note the reference to "older wines from the titans" during dinner. :blink:

Might this be a "once in a wine lifetime" kind of event? $1500 is kind of steep, and I do have a ticket to a decent event, the Delouvrier/Deutz James Beard dinner, the same night. I am also trying to be slightly more frugal with respect to food/wine expenditures. :huh:

Might this be a "once in a wine lifetime" kind of event? $1500 is kind of steep, and I do have a ticket to a decent event, the Delouvrier/Deutz James Beard dinner, the same night. I am also trying to be slightly more frugal with respect to food/wine expenditures.  :huh:

What would your diary look like if you were trying to be extravagant? :blink::blink::blink:

I'd appreciate members' input at their earliest convenience. I might have to decide on this tomorrow or the day after.

Might this be a "once in a wine lifetime" kind of event? $1500 is kind of steep, and I do have a ticket to a decent event, the Delouvrier/Deutz James Beard dinner, the same night.

For comparison, here is the Delouvrier/Deutz event:

Interesting October J Beard in-house events include: (1) Monday, October 21: Winemaker Dinner with Christian Delouvrier of Lespinasse with Deutz champagne . . .

James Beard recently released the menu for the Delouvrier/Deutz dinner. Note that many of the pairings do not involve Deutz champagne, but relate to Delas Freres, a Rhone producer also owned by the Roederer group and supervised by Fabrice Rosset. . . .

RECEPTION

Bluefin tuna tartare with yellow, green and red peppers; smoked tuna, olive oil and red wine

Patagonia shrimp with vinaigrette of pea shoots, romaine and garbanzo beans

Fillet of Atlantic rouget with salad of haricots verts, black olives and tomato

Hot tourte of duck and foie gras with green salad

Served with Champagne Deutz Brut Classic NV

DINNER

Sauteed Hudson Valley foie gras with reduction of verjus and shallot confit, Cuvee William Deutz 1995 :wink: (This will be interesting, as Michel Guerard also has a verjus-based foie gras preparation)

Lobster in a ragout of butternut squash, cepes and chestnuts, Delas Freres Crozes-Hermitage Les Launes Blanc 1999

Brittany sole goujeonettes with fumet, tomatoes, fennel, and white mushrooms, Delas Freres Condrieu La Galopine 1999

Wild duck roasted on the spit with galette of potatoes and onion, red wine and cornas sauce, Delas Freres St Joseph Francois de Tournou 1999

Braised lamb shank with grilled leg of lamb, cranberry beans, flageolets, fava and yellow beans, haricot verts, and jus naturel, Delas Freres Hermitage Marquise de la Tourette 1999

Patrice Caillot's dessert selection, Deutz Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise 2000

Whether the Montrachet tasting is "worth it" is, to use a favorite term of the Board, an almost entirely "subjective" question and depends on your budgetary concerns and your desire to experience the sort of unique and rare occasion (in wine-lovers' terms) that this tasting represents. This is the sort of thing that not only rarely happens in New York---it rarely happens anywhere.

For what its worth, although the 1995 Cuvee William Deutz is a very nice champagne, the wines at the Beard event look pretty pedestrian and vinously speaking, there is no comparison between events.

MartyL -- I appreciate the special nature of the Montrachet event, and the inability to compare the wines with the Deutz event. However, the Montrachet event is more than 10x the cost of the Deutz event. :sad: Does your assessment of the Montrachet event depend on what vintages are being served at the non-dinner tasting portion? What would be a minimum quantity per producer that one needs to sample to meaningfully sample a bottle?

Cabrales,

I like to have at least a 2 oz. pour to evaluate a wine. Of course, it is better if you have a good half a bottle to stay with and savor as it changes over a few hours, but when 20-40 wines are being poured, that's just impossible.

I saw the e-mail that Daniell Johnnes sent out about the vintages being served that night at dinner (a PM is on its way), and trust me, you are not being shortchanged as to vintage or as to producer. There are at least 3 or 4 bottles being served that go for $800 and up at auction. Virtually all of the others go for $300 and up. You'll get walk-around pours of 24 wines and about a dozen more at dinner. If you attend, you will not leave thirsty.

That being said, I'm not sure such a blizzard-like format is the best way to experience the world's greatest wines, especially if you are like me, and don't have lots of experience with the mega-tasting format.

Hot tourte of duck and foie gras with green salad

Served with Champagne Deutz Brut Classic NV

DINNER

Sauteed Hudson Valley foie gras with reduction of verjus and shallot confit, Cuvee William Deutz 1995 :wink: (This will be interesting, as Michel Guerard also has a verjus-based foie gras preparation)

A coincidence here. I had a Rustic duck pie at Michel Guerard. It was rich with foie gras and accompanied by sauteed cabbage.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Cabby - if the $1500 falls within your budget, do it. This is probably a "once in a lifetime" event. In my opinion, t's worth more then 10x the Deutz event and I'm not just referring to money, but to the experience.

PS - if I could get a ticket, I would go.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

rich -- I think I shouldn't be spending $1500 on a meal -- I've never done so before. :wink: Plus, I am now uncertain I will be available to take in any dinner that day, in view of other likely demands on me that day. If a member is interested in my spot at the Delouvrier/Deutz dinner at the James Beard House (I forget what the member price is for the event, but it's below $125 for sure), please consider PM'ing me today. I am about to cancel the Beard reservation.

What a sad outcome :sad: Neither dinner.

That's sad. Hope you try for the one on the 28th (CA vs. FR) that sounds like fun - I'm going to try to make that one.

Rich Schulhoff