• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question re: storing dried beans

onrushpam

Yesterday, I made a quick run to the little regional chain store in the small town closest to us. They cater to the Hispanic community and often have very nice produce, including items I don't see in the bigger town where I work.

I noticed they had 2 lb ziplock bags of pinto and black beans that looked wonderful! So, I grabbed a bag of the pintos. They are labled "dried pinto beans". But, they were in the produce coolers. They must be a new item, because the checkout guy had a hard time getting them to ring up.

I'm cooking some now, with Fat Guy's oven method. They will be done MUCH sooner than the typical dried beans we get. DH tasted them and said, "YUUUMMMM"! So, I had to taste... Oh MY!!! They are GOOOOOD!!!

Do I need to refrigerate the rest of them? Or put them in the freezer?

I think these beans are a real "find"! So, I want to treat them properly and go back for more!

How do I properly preserve the goodness of these?

Pam

Are you sure they were dried, and not fresh beans? We have grown pintos in the past, and eaten them in the very young "snap" stage and the more mature shell stage, and they are indeed yummy. When we dry beans it is usually for seed storage, and we do store our seed in the fridge even after they are dry. Fresh shelled beans would of course need to be blanched before freezing.

I have often wondered why many of these beans, that are so good for fresh shelling, are not sold in the fresh state more often - in the manner of Southern Peas. In fact, I don't understand why fresh Southern Peas are not grown or used more often in the home and in restaurants. There is so much nutrition there, and so much flavor.

These are definitely dried and were labeled as such. But, they are the freshest dried beans I've ever bought. They cooked up quickly and had a very creamy texture.

They're in the pantry now, but I think I'll put them in the fridge.

We are blessed to have access to all sorts of fresh Southern peas and I stock the freezer with them in late summer. But, you're right. I never see fresh shelled beans at the markets.