• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

troubleshooting pate choux

pastrygirl

I'm no stranger to the cream puff, my choux recipe has served me well for years - in the US, at sea level. Now I'm in the Himalayas, around 7000 feet, my choux is just not cooperating, and I'm getting rather peeved. Of course I want to blame the altitude, but it could just be I've lost my choux mojo. Help me figure out what I can do to make them work! Problem: they puff OK but are not the nice hollow shell I'm looking for, and they get holes in the top. I want to make eclairs for my breakfast basket, and need a smooth, hole-free top and hollow interior. I tried Ann Amernick's recipe from her new dessert book, batter was super soupy, and they still were not hollow, so I'm inclined to think it's not just my recipe that isn't working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrea

I'm no stranger to the cream puff, my choux recipe has served me well for years - in the US, at sea level.  Now I'm in the Himalayas, around 7000 feet, my choux is just not cooperating, and I'm getting rather peeved.  Of course I want to blame the altitude, but it could just be I've lost my choux mojo.  Help me figure out what I can do to make them work!  Problem:  they puff OK but are not the nice hollow shell I'm looking for, and they get holes in the top.  I want to make eclairs for my breakfast basket, and need a smooth, hole-free top and hollow interior.  I tried Ann Amernick's recipe from her new dessert book, batter was super soupy, and they still were not hollow, so I'm inclined to think it's not just my recipe that isn't working.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrea

Was your original recipe making a soupy batter in this location or did it seem otherwise as you expected?

Are you using the same ingredients - ie are you now using non american flour. I wonder if changing to a higher protein flour might help somewhat. I'm looking through a book I have called "Pie in Sky - Successful Baking at High Altitudes" and it seems to suggest higher protein flour when more structure is needed at higher altitudes. The closest thing I can find in this book to choux is popovers - it has you bake them for 15 to 17 min at 450, then 20 min at 350 when you are at 7000 ft. At 10,000 ft you preheat to 475 first, then bake them at 450 for 20 min, 350 for 15 minutes.

Another thought - is your oven as hot as your american oven?