• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring Cocktails

campus five

I'm thinking about doing a couple of cocktails for Easter, but everything I think of seems to me to be more summer-y. It's not quite hot enough for straight summer drinks, and there is something distinct about spring I'd like to capture.

Right now I'm thinking about floral flavors (St. Germain, Violette, etc.), although I'm sure there are other ways to go.

Some of the possibilities I'm mulling over:

Vieux Mot

Aviation

Attention Cocktail

Other floral, herbal flavors I've got handy: Yellow and Green Chartreuse, Benedictine

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm thinking about doing a couple of cocktails for Easter, but everything I think of seems to me to be more summer-y. It's not quite hot enough for straight summer drinks, and there is something distinct about spring I'd like to capture.

Right now I'm thinking about floral flavors (St. Germain, Violette, etc.), although I'm sure there are other ways to go.

Some of the possibilities I'm mulling over:

Vieux Mot

Aviation

Attention Cocktail

Other floral, herbal flavors I've got handy: Yellow and Green Chartreuse, Benedictine

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Since you have geen Chartreuse, how about a Last Word??

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

For a spring garden cocktail party a while back I did French 75s using Violette instead of the simple syrup- very nice. Also I recommend using Magellan gin, a very clean, light liquor flavored with Iris, to back up the subtle floral perfume.

(in case you were unfamiliar)

Violet French 75

1 ounce Magellan Gin

1tsp fresh lemon juice

1/4oz violette

4oz champagne (something light and fruity is best...)

You can lessen the amount of champagne to get a stronger gin kick- I prefer the liquor to only perfume the champagne, rather than take it over.

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

Vanilla-Lavender sours were always pretty spring-like to me.

2 oz. Stoli Vanilla

1 oz. fresh lemon juice

1 oz. Lavender simple syrup*

egg white

Shake the hell out of it and strain into a cocktail glass. Twist a freshly made lemon peel over the drink and drop in.

* Boil 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup water until dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup of food grade lavender blossoms that have been bruised with a rolling pin. Allow it to cool at room temperature. Strain and refrigerate.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol