• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite uses for Boursin?

Sony

In my experience, the best use of Boursin is to impress college girls with your Euro-suavitude. Served on a loaf of French Bread from the Safeway, with a bottle of French Wine, after watching a French Movie at the local art house (I recommend Jules and Jim) it can be very effective (long as you don't break the cork in half while opening the French Wine). Also, spring for the $5 bread knife at the Safeway, as the cheap flatware you swiped from the dining hall is ineffective on bread that soft.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

In my experience, the best use of Boursin is to impress college girls with your Euro-suavitude.  Served on a loaf of French Bread from the Safeway, with a bottle of French Wine, after watching a French Movie at the local art house (I recommend Jules and Jim) it can be very effective (long as you don't break the cork in half while opening the French Wine).  Also, spring for the $5 bread knife at the Safeway, as the cheap flatware you swiped from the dining hall is ineffective on bread that soft.

Hope you avoided the 'Garlic' & Fine Herbs flavor. :raz:

Robert R

Yowza! You all are awesome!  :biggrin: How is it that I've never had Boursin when it seems to be so versatile?!

One question: the fettuccine +protein + Boursin......is there anything else required to create a sauce? Milk? Stock/broth? Or is it simply meant to melt on its own?

I have the same question. Could we please get just a little more guidance on how to whip up this sumptious treat?

pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

A friend makes this--stuff mushroom caps with Boursin, drizzle a little olive oil in a baking dish, maybe drizzle a little on top of mushrooms and bake till browned and crispy on top--fabulous.

By the way, is there a good recipe for homemade boursin?

Zoe

• 2 weeks later...

Just reporting back on my Boursin trials!

I can now personally confirm that Boursin and eggs is a wonderful combination.

I crumbled a little over a pasta dish with chicken, asparagus tips and garlicky sauteed mushrooms- SO good!

Finally, last night, I crumbled the last of it into a thyme-scented mornay sauce to make a gratin with leftover roasted cauliflower. Definitely comfort food for the lingering cold weather....

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, everyone. Glad there are still many more to try!

Seems like I made it once or twice with a recipe from Southern Living. It was fine while it was cold, but separated when heated - it contained cream cheese and butter, I think. I'll see if I can find the recipe tomorrow.

Stop Family Violence

Things to do with Boursin:

Crumble, brown and drain pork sausage. Mix with boursin. Stuff large olive oil brushed mushroom caps. Top with panko. Bake until golden brown.

mix a large container of boursin with 2 cups hearty beef broth. Saute 1 1/2 cups rice until opaque. Mix boursin mixture with rice. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Pour in a casserole and bake at 350F till rice is done and liquid absorbed.

Fill pastry bag with room temp boursin. Pipe into hollowed cherry tomatoes, sugar snap pea pods, cucumber shells, small cooked, chilled hollowed out new potatoes and on the backs of cold, steamed butterflied shrimp for lo vely hors d'oureves.

Process cooked chicken livers with boursin and a little olive oil for a nice twist on pate.

substitute boursin for the cream cheese in a cheesecake recipe and omit the sugar. Make your crust with ground pecans and butter. Add sauteed onions, blanched asparagus, crisp crumbled bacon and chopped cooked shrimp for a savory cheese cake. Make it in parchment lined half sheet pans and cut into squares for serving. Size depends on whether serving as an app or entree.

Berta

• 3 weeks later...